Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Sean Carolan

Default CentOS 5.3 host not seeing storage device

Maybe one of you has experienced something like this before.

I have a host running CentOS5.3, x86_64 version with the standard
qla2xxx driver. Both ports are recognized and show output in dmesg
but they never find my storage device:

qla2xxx 0000:07:00.1: LIP reset occured (f700).
qla2xxx 0000:07:00.1: LIP occured (f700).
qla2xxx 0000:07:00.1: LIP reset occured (f7f7).
qla2xxx 0000:07:00.0: LOOP UP detected (4 Gbps).
qla2xxx 0000:07:00.0: SNS scan failed -- assuming zero-entry result...
qla2xxx 0000:07:00.1: LOOP UP detected (4 Gbps).
qla2xxx 0000:07:00.1: SNS scan failed -- assuming zero-entry result...

The storage device is a virtual tape library on an HP d2d server. On
the storage device I have configured the virtual tape drive and
controller. I've also added the WWNs from the server and storage into
a zone on our fiber switch, and made the zone config live.

Anyone have some suggestions where I can start troubleshooting this?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 AM
"Alexander Dalloz"

> Maybe one of you has experienced something like this before.
>
> I have a host running CentOS5.3, x86_64 version with the standard
> qla2xxx driver. Both ports are recognized and show output in dmesg
> but they never find my storage device:
>
> qla2xxx 0000:07:00.1: LIP reset occured (f700).
> qla2xxx 0000:07:00.1: LIP occured (f700).
> qla2xxx 0000:07:00.1: LIP reset occured (f7f7).
> qla2xxx 0000:07:00.0: LOOP UP detected (4 Gbps).
> qla2xxx 0000:07:00.0: SNS scan failed -- assuming zero-entry result...
> qla2xxx 0000:07:00.1: LOOP UP detected (4 Gbps).
> qla2xxx 0000:07:00.1: SNS scan failed -- assuming zero-entry result...
>
> The storage device is a virtual tape library on an HP d2d server. On
> the storage device I have configured the virtual tape drive and
> controller. I've also added the WWNs from the server and storage into
> a zone on our fiber switch, and made the zone config live.
>
> Anyone have some suggestions where I can start troubleshooting this?

Did you check the output of "/proc/scsi/scsi"?

I would do a SCSI rescan using

echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostX/scan

where "hostX" is the matching SCSI host.

To configure (i.e. speed and connection type) and control the QLogic FC
HBA I recommend to install the QLogic SANsurfer CLI.

Do you use port zoning or WWN zoning? The switch sees the attached WWNs of
both the server and the tape library?

Regards

Alexander

Old 02-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Sean Carolan

> Did you check the output of "/proc/scsi/scsi"?

Yea, it's empty.

> I would do a SCSI rescan using
>
> * echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostX/scan

Tried this and also:

echo 1 > /sys/class/fc_host/host0/issue_lip

Still, nothing is seen by the host. We have also tried changing the
port settings from Loop, to NPIV, to Auto on the d2d device but the
results are the same. Unfortunately all HP's documentation is
directed towards windows users, who simply use a GUI to discover the
virtual drive.

> To configure (i.e. speed and connection type) and control the QLogic FC
> HBA I recommend to install the QLogic SANsurfer CLI.

Ok, I may try this but I had hoped the default settings would work.
We have no problem talking to our SAN on the same fabric, from other
hosts with Qlogic HBAs.

> Do you use port zoning or WWN zoning? The switch sees the attached WWNs of
> both the server and the tape library?

WWN zoning, and yes, the switch can see the host HBA, the virtual tape
library and the tape changer. I've double-checked the zone and
refreshed it several times but no dice.

I have a ticket open with HP, but their support folks seemed a bit
stumped as well. /sigh...

Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/20 Sean Carolan <scarolan@gmail.com>:
>> Did you check the output of "/proc/scsi/scsi"?
>
> Yea, it's empty.
>
>> I would do a SCSI rescan using
>>
>> * echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostX/scan
>
> Tried this and also:
>
> echo 1 > /sys/class/fc_host/host0/issue_lip
>
> Still, nothing is seen by the host. *We have also tried changing the
> port settings from Loop, to NPIV, to Auto on the d2d device but the
> results are the same. *Unfortunately all HP's documentation is
> directed towards windows users, who simply use a GUI to discover the
> virtual drive.
>
>> To configure (i.e. speed and connection type) and control the QLogic FC
>> HBA I recommend to install the QLogic SANsurfer CLI.
>
> Ok, I may try this but I had hoped the default settings would work.
> We have no problem talking to our SAN on the same fabric, from other
> hosts with Qlogic HBAs.
>
>> Do you use port zoning or WWN zoning? The switch sees the attached WWNs of
>> both the server and the tape library?
>
> WWN zoning, and yes, the switch can see the host HBA, the virtual tape
> library and the tape changer. *I've double-checked the zone and
> refreshed it several times but no dice.
>
> I have a ticket open with HP, but their support folks seemed a bit
> stumped as well. */sigh...

On some systems, reboot is required? to access disk from SAN device.

At least this issue is on my Hitachi AMS san system.

--
Eero

Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Sean Carolan

> On some systems, reboot is required? to access disk from SAN device.
>
> At least this issue is on my Hitachi AMS san system.

Yes, we've tried a few reboots. I'll bet the testing on this d2d
device did not get as thorough QA on Linux as it did on Windows. I'll
post the solution here if HP is able to help me fix it.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Sean Carolan

> On some systems, reboot is required? to access disk from SAN device.

This turned out to be a zoning issue. *Although I had properly created the zone, I had to add it to our "Prod" configuration to make it live. *Once that was done, the virtual tape library was recognized right away:

kernel: * Vendor: HP * * * *Model: MSL G3 Series * * Rev: EL21kernel: * Type: * Medium Changer * * * * * * * * * * ANSI SCSI revision: 03kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 8

kernel: * Vendor: HP * * * *Model: Ultrium 4-SCSI * *Rev: ED41kernel: * Type: * Sequential-Access * * * * * * * * *ANSI SCSI revision: 03kernel: scsi 0:0:1:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 1

kernel: st: Version 20070203, fixed bufsize 32768, s/g segs 256kernel: st 0:0:1:0: Attached scsi tape st0kernel: st0: try direct i/o: yes (alignment 512 B)

*