Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Eduardo Grosclaude

Default processor affinity

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Adam Grossman <adam.grossman@devitron.com> wrote:

Hello,

i am running CentOS 5.4. *i have a requirement where i need to have 1

application have a single processor all to its self, and the rest of the

system run on the other processors. *"taskman" lets me bind the process

to a processor(s), but it does not make it exclusive. * Is this possible

to do? i have even tried mucking around with the rc.sysinit, but to no

avail.

I assume you taskset, isn't it?
If affinity is inherited, does setting affinity for init process to a fixed set of processors make sense?
--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue

Neuquen, Argentina

Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM
"Simon Billis"

Adam Grossman sent a missive on*2010-02-17:

> Hello,
>
> i am running CentOS 5.4. i have a requirement where i need to have 1
> application have a single processor all to its self, and the rest of the
> system run on the other processors. "taskman" lets me bind the process
> to a processor(s), but it does not make it exclusive. Is this possible
> to do? i have even tried mucking around with the rc.sysinit, but to no
> avail.
>
> thank you very much,
Have you considered running through the pids of the all tasks and then using
taskset to change their affinities. You could also change all the init
scripts to invoke the process using something like "taskset -p [mask] [pid]"
and limit the mask to only the first few CPU's that you want them to have
access to.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Adam Grossman

i tried using taskset to set pid 1 and the pid of $$ to the processors i
wanted, but that did not work.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Adam Grossman

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 18:17 +0000, Simon Billis wrote:
> Adam Grossman sent a missive on 2010-02-17:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > i am running CentOS 5.4. i have a requirement where i need to have 1
> > application have a single processor all to its self, and the rest of the
> > system run on the other processors. "taskman" lets me bind the process
> > to a processor(s), but it does not make it exclusive. Is this possible
> > to do? i have even tried mucking around with the rc.sysinit, but to no
> > avail.
> >
> > thank you very much,
> Have you considered running through the pids of the all tasks and then using
> taskset to change their affinities. You could also change all the init
> scripts to invoke the process using something like "taskset -p [mask] [pid]"
> and limit the mask to only the first few CPU's that you want them to have
> access to.

that's probably a good idea. have it be the last service that runs
which moves everything to the processors i want. i am going to give
that an try.

thank you very much,
-=- adam grossman

Old 02-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Adam Grossman

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 13:26 -0500, Adam Grossman wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 18:17 +0000, Simon Billis wrote:
> > Adam Grossman sent a missive on 2010-02-17:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > i am running CentOS 5.4. i have a requirement where i need to have 1
> > > application have a single processor all to its self, and the rest of the
> > > system run on the other processors. "taskman" lets me bind the process
> > > to a processor(s), but it does not make it exclusive. Is this possible
> > > to do? i have even tried mucking around with the rc.sysinit, but to no
> > > avail.
> > >
> > > thank you very much,
> > Have you considered running through the pids of the all tasks and then using
> > taskset to change their affinities. You could also change all the init
> > scripts to invoke the process using something like "taskset -p [mask] [pid]"
> > and limit the mask to only the first few CPU's that you want them to have
> > access to.
> >

> that's probably a good idea. have it be the last service that runs
> which moves everything to the processors i want. i am going to give
> that an try.

i was asked to do this for increased performance. but does centos have
any SMP load balancing which would probably work better then manually
doing load balancing?

thanks,
-=- adam grossman

Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 AM
"Simon Billis"

Adam Grossman sent a missive on*2010-02-17:

> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 13:26 -0500, Adam Grossman wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 18:17 +0000, Simon Billis wrote:
>>> Adam Grossman sent a missive on 2010-02-17:

>>> Have you considered running through the pids of the all tasks and then
>>> using taskset to change their affinities. You could also change all
>>> the init scripts to invoke the process using something like "taskset
>>> -p [mask] [pid]" and limit the mask to only the first few CPU's that
>>> you want them to have access to.
>>>

>> that's probably a good idea. have it be the last service that runs
>> which moves everything to the processors i want. i am going to give
>> that an try.
>
> i was asked to do this for increased performance. but does centos
> have any SMP load balancing which would probably work better then
> manually doing load balancing?

Linux does have cpu load balancing to maximise performance, but performance
of an application/process relies on many things. You may have to tune the
system for that particular application and also reduce the number of other
processes running to maximise the performance. Application tuning may also
be required for maximum performance gains.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 AM
John Doe

> Adam Grossman sent a missive on 2010-02-17:

> >> that's probably a good idea. have it be the last service that runs
> >> which moves everything to the processors i want. i am going to give
> >> that an try.
> >
> > i was asked to do this for increased performance. but does centos
> > have any SMP load balancing which would probably work better then
> > manually doing load balancing?
> >
> Linux does have cpu load balancing to maximise performance, but performance
> of an application/process relies on many things. You may have to tune the
> system for that particular application and also reduce the number of other
> processes running to maximise the performance. Application tuning may also
> be required for maximum performance gains.

What about renicing processes...?

JD

Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 AM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

>> Adam Grossman sent a missive on 2010-02-17:

>>> i was asked to do this for increased performance. but does centos
>>> have any SMP load balancing which would probably work better then
>>> manually doing load balancing?
>>>
>> Linux does have cpu load balancing to maximise performance, but performance
>> of an application/process relies on many things. You may have to tune the
>> system for that particular application and also reduce the number of other
>> processes running to maximise the performance. Application tuning may also
>> be required for maximum performance gains.
>
> What about renicing processes...?
>
> JD

Hi

I don't this helps, but in the BIOS of Dell Precision I have to option
of choose the memory management to be SMP or NUMA, the default is SMP.
If you choose to NUMA than you have a better affinity.

Regards

mg.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
"Simon Billis"

John Doe sent a missive on*2010-02-18:

I personally would only renice my processes - most system processes need to
run at a higher priority than user tasks so things don?t break. They also
only utilise a very small proportion of the system so "should" be negligible
in most instances. In my experience understanding what your application is
doing provides the insight into tuning the system for maximum performance.