FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Niki Kovacs
 
Default HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

Hi,

Up until now, I've only installed Linux either on "desktop" hardware,
meaning one of the desktop PCs in the LAN acted as a server machine for
the network, or I rented some dedicated server somewhere in a datacenter.

Last week I bought some server hardware, a used HP Proliant ML150. It's
the first time I am dealing with this sort of hardware. The hardware was
sold "as is", without any warranty.

When I open the front cache, there are six small "drawers", and the
bottom two of them each contain a 72 GB hard disk.

I inserted a CentOS 5.4 install CD (1 of 6), and the installer (linux
text) booted correctly. But when it comes to partitioning, it "sees" no
disk.

Unlike the usual desktop hardware, there seems to be a myriad of
configuration options, and I'm a bit lost here. So first things first.
How do I configure this machine so the CentOS installer can actually
recognize my two inserted hard disks as such : say, sda and sdb or
similarly ?

Any suggestions ?

Niki Kovacs
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Timo Schoeler
 
Default HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

thus Niki Kovacs spake:
> Hi,
>
> Up until now, I've only installed Linux either on "desktop" hardware,
> meaning one of the desktop PCs in the LAN acted as a server machine for
> the network, or I rented some dedicated server somewhere in a datacenter.
>
> Last week I bought some server hardware, a used HP Proliant ML150. It's
> the first time I am dealing with this sort of hardware. The hardware was
> sold "as is", without any warranty.
>
> When I open the front cache, there are six small "drawers", and the
> bottom two of them each contain a 72 GB hard disk.
>
> I inserted a CentOS 5.4 install CD (1 of 6), and the installer (linux
> text) booted correctly. But when it comes to partitioning, it "sees" no
> disk.

You most probably need a driver disk; searching for the model and 'RHEL
driver' tells me that you need a "Driver Diskette for HP ProLiant Smart
Array Controller", which you can get at hp.com.

You then need to burn it onto CD or copy it to an USB stick (don't know
that piece of driver), so you can load this driver when booting CentOS.
You'll need to boot Linux with the 'dd' option ('dd' stands for 'driver
disk') when you see grub.

> Unlike the usual desktop hardware, there seems to be a myriad of
> configuration options, and I'm a bit lost here. So first things first.
> How do I configure this machine so the CentOS installer can actually
> recognize my two inserted hard disks as such : say, sda and sdb or
> similarly ?
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Niki Kovacs

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFLe+yHfg746kcGBOwRAorKAJ900NBLXU2jOZSClVHWmD Jx2WykVgCgteFQ
nJ6s71UroJbwY60ckMwmsWg=
=4lm+
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Rainer Duffner
 
Default HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> thus Niki Kovacs spake:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Up until now, I've only installed Linux either on "desktop" hardware,
>> meaning one of the desktop PCs in the LAN acted as a server machine for
>> the network, or I rented some dedicated server somewhere in a datacenter.
>>
>> Last week I bought some server hardware, a used HP Proliant ML150. It's
>> the first time I am dealing with this sort of hardware. The hardware was
>> sold "as is", without any warranty.
>>
>> When I open the front cache, there are six small "drawers", and the
>> bottom two of them each contain a 72 GB hard disk.
>>
>> I inserted a CentOS 5.4 install CD (1 of 6), and the installer (linux
>> text) booted correctly. But when it comes to partitioning, it "sees" no
>> disk.
>>
> You most probably need a driver disk; searching for the model and 'RHEL
> driver' tells me that you need a "Driver Diskette for HP ProLiant Smart
> Array Controller", which you can get at hp.com.
>


Rather, you must first create an array of the disks included (if it's a
brand new server).



Cheers,
Rainer
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Nickolay Bunev
 
Default HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

On 02/17/2010 03:38 PM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>> thus Niki Kovacs spake:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Up until now, I've only installed Linux either on "desktop" hardware,
>>> meaning one of the desktop PCs in the LAN acted as a server machine for
>>> the network, or I rented some dedicated server somewhere in a datacenter.
>>>
>>> Last week I bought some server hardware, a used HP Proliant ML150. It's
>>> the first time I am dealing with this sort of hardware. The hardware was
>>> sold "as is", without any warranty.
>>>
>>> When I open the front cache, there are six small "drawers", and the
>>> bottom two of them each contain a 72 GB hard disk.
>>>
>>> I inserted a CentOS 5.4 install CD (1 of 6), and the installer (linux
>>> text) booted correctly. But when it comes to partitioning, it "sees" no
>>> disk.
>>>
>> You most probably need a driver disk; searching for the model and 'RHEL
>> driver' tells me that you need a "Driver Diskette for HP ProLiant Smart
>> Array Controller", which you can get at hp.com.
>>
>
>
> Rather, you must first create an array of the disks included (if it's a
> brand new server).
>
>
>
> Cheers,
> Rainer
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
Hello there,

I don't know about ML's but with DL series CentOS don't have any
problems at all and with seeing disks in particular. So I presume that
Rainer is absolutely right. You have to build an array first.
Check this link
http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Rainer Duffner
 
Default HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

>
> On 02/17/2010 03:38 PM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
>
> Hello there,
>
> I don't know about ML's but with DL series CentOS don't have any
> problems at all and with seeing disks in particular. So I presume that
> Rainer is absolutely right. You have to build an array first.
> Check this link
> http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf
>
>



BTW: does 5.4 work on the latest G6 hardware?
And does 5.4 detect those 10G NIC (NC532i is their name, IIRC)?


Regards,
Rainer
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Kai Schaetzl
 
Default HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

Rainer Duffner wrote on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:38:04 +0100:

> Rather, you must first create an array of the disks included (if it's a
> brand new server).

Indeed. To be done in the main BIOS or the card's BIOS if there is an
extra RAID controller card inserted. There should be no need to get extra
drivers.

Kai

--
Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Eero Volotinen
 
Default HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

2010/2/17 Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>:
>>
>> On 02/17/2010 03:38 PM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
>>
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I don't know about ML's but with DL series CentOS don't have any
>> problems at all and with seeing disks in particular. So I presume that
>> Rainer is absolutely right. You have to build an array first.
>> Check this link
>> http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf
>>
>>
>
>
>
> BTW: does 5.4 work on the latest G6 hardware?
> And does 5.4 detect those 10G NIC (NC532i is their name, IIRC)?

Well:

Minimum Supported Red Hat Updates
. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3
. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.7

see at:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/ml150g6-drivers-cert.html

It might require some driver disks, that are available at same place..

--
Eero
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Niki Kovacs
 
Default HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

Nickolay Bunev a écrit :

> I don't know about ML's but with DL series CentOS don't have any
> problems at all and with seeing disks in particular. So I presume that
> Rainer is absolutely right. You have to build an array first.
> Check this link
> http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf

This document relates to a working server with a working Windows 2003
Server installation (as the array utility is for that platform).

The Proliant Server I have here is shipped "as is", with a handful of
disks. And I have no idea where to start for installing Linux.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Eero Volotinen
 
Default HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

2010/2/17 Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net>:
> Nickolay Bunev a écrit :
>
>> I don't know about ML's but with DL series CentOS don't have any
>> problems at all and with seeing disks in particular. So I presume that
>> Rainer is absolutely right. You have to build an array first.
>> Check this link
>> http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf
>
> This document relates to a working server with a working Windows 2003
> Server installation (as the array utility is for that platform).
>
> The Proliant Server I have here is shipped "as is", with a handful of
> disks. And I have no idea where to start for installing Linux.

Boot the management utility cd or embedded bios and create raid
arrays, then try to boot with latest centos 5.4 disk.

If disks are still unavailable, then just download the driver
diskettes and use them to load correct disk driver..



--
Eero
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Nickolay Bunev a écrit :
>
>> I don't know about ML's but with DL series CentOS don't have any
>> problems at all and with seeing disks in particular. So I presume that
>> Rainer is absolutely right. You have to build an array first.
>> Check this link
>> http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf
>
> This document relates to a working server with a working Windows 2003
> Server installation (as the array utility is for that platform).
>
> The Proliant Server I have here is shipped "as is", with a handful of
> disks. And I have no idea where to start for installing Linux.

It depends on the raid controller, but some have the basic utilities in ROM that
you access by hitting a specified key at boot-up. Are there any messages about
the controller as you boot?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org