Old 02-17-2010, 05:51 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default annoying random Firefox crash - how to debug?

Hi,

My firefox (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091216 Fedora/3.5.6-1.fc11 Firefox/3.5.6) on Gnome 2.26.3 will randomly crash, without any errors. /var/log/messages & /var/log/Xorg.0.log doesn't show anything that caused any errors. And it doesn't matter on which website(s) I'm busy with, it will just crash.

Does anyone know how to check for a problem?

My PC has:

Intel Pentium(R) Dual-Core E5200 CPU
4GB DDRII Corsair RAM
3x 160GB SATAII HDD
Asus Nvidia 8800GT graphics card.

I have updated to the latest nVidia drivers

[root@Rudi-PC ~]# dmesg* | grep nvidia
nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
nvidia-config-d[1399]: segfault at 7f0888000000 ip 0000003ff107bf54 sp 00007ffff39d1898 error 4 in libc-2.10.2.so[3ff1000000+164000]

[root@Rudi-PC ~]# dmesg* | grep nvidia
nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
nvidia-config-d[1399]: segfault at 7f0888000000 ip 0000003ff107bf54 sp 00007ffff39d1898 error 4 in libc-2.10.2.so[3ff1000000+164000]

[root@Rudi-PC ~]# uname -a
Linux Rudi-PC 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Feb 11 07:06:34 UTC 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

P.S. This is on Fedora Core 12, but it's RH based, so I thought maybe someone on this list might have some insight into the problem?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573

Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 08:51 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Does anyone know how to check for a problem?

The first thing to do is disable all firefox plugins and see if the
problem goes away.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 08:51 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Does anyone know how to check for a problem?

The first thing to do is disable all firefox plugins and see if the

problem goes away.

I already tried that, no luck

In fact,I only installed 3 plug-ins yesterday, had nothing before that.

Something interesting that I picked up is that Thunderbird will close randomly (very seldom though) as well, so I don't know if it's Firefox specific though.

I have picked up that it happens more often when my PC's memory usage is above 2GB RAM, and memtest86+ didn't indicate any memory problems. If I have less tabs open, it happens less often, but the more tabs I have open, the more often it happens.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Timo Schoeler

Old 02-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Rudi Ahlers