Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 AM
Balaji

Default Problem in gdb

Dear All,

We are running RHEL4 Update 4 AS IA-64 on a HP rx6600.

We are running programs compiled in RHEL4 Update 4 AS in i386
architecture using the emul library(Intel IA-32 Execution Layer )

[admin@corviewsecondary ~]$ service ia32el status
Intel IA-32 Execution Layer in use

When we attempt to run a program using /usr/bin/gdb we are not able to
hit the break point set.

[admin@corviewsecondary ~]$ file /usr/bin/gdb
/usr/bin/gdb: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, IA-64, version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

[admin@corviewsecondary ~]$ /usr/bin/gdb ./loopTest
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.132.EL4rh)
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "ia64-redhat-linux-gnu"...Using host
libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) b main
warning: Can't fetch instructions for slot numbers greater than 2.
Using slot 0 instead
Breakpoint 1 at 0x8048384: file loopTest.c, line 6.
(gdb) r

But the breakpoint does not get hit.

We tried using the /emul/ia32-linux/usr/bin/gdb. But the program does
not run.

[admin@corviewsecondary ~]$ file /emul/ia32-linux/usr/bin/gdb
/emul/ia32-linux/usr/bin/gdb: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared
libs), stripped

[admin@corviewsecondary ~]$ /emul/ia32-linux/usr/bin/gdb loopTest
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.132.EL4rh)
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...Using host
libthread_db library "/emul/ia32-linux/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) b main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x8048384: file loopTest.c, line 6.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/admin/loopTest
Killed

We need the following details
1. How to run a i386 compiled program in IA64 bit environment using gdb
and be able to hit break points?

2.How do we catch a running process in gdb and apply a breakpoint in our
setup.

The code of C program in question is given below
#include <stdio.h>
int count=0;
void printString();
int main()
{
printf("unlock
");
while(1) {
//do nothing
printString();
//break;
}
return 0;
}

void printString() {
count++;
printf("count = %d
",count);
return;
}

The above c code compiled in i386 environment and the IA64 bit server in
which we are running this program are attached.

Thanks in Advance,

-S.Balaji

Old 02-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Phil Schaffner

Balaji wrote on 02/16/2010 12:32 AM:
> Dear All,
>
> We are running RHEL4 Update 4 AS IA-64 on a HP rx6600.
>
> We are running programs compiled in RHEL4 Update 4 AS in i386
> architecture using the emul library(Intel IA-32 Execution Layer )

Begs the questions:
Why such an obsolete version?
Why are you posting to the CentOS list?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Balaji

Dear All,

We are running CentOS4.4 linux in same manner.
We findout the same issue in CentOS Machine also.
We posted this queries to Red Hat Support and We posted same queries
in CentOS group
Their is no difference of using RHEL4 Update 4 and CentOS4.4 Linux?
What thinks makes difference of placing RHEL4 Update 4 Problem in
CentOS

Regards
-S.Balaji

Old 02-18-2010, 04:24 PM
John R Pierce

Balaji wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We are running CentOS4.4 linux in same manner.

You're running CentOS 4.4 on an Itanium system ?!? I didn't think
CentOS built for IA64 Itanic.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 02/18/2010 05:24 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> Balaji wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> We are running CentOS4.4 linux in same manner.
>>

> You're running CentOS 4.4 on an Itanium system ?!? I didn't think
> CentOS built for IA64 Itanic.

CentOS-4 has been on IA64

CentOS-5 should be there as well, fairly soon.