Old 02-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Terry Polzin

Default hplip packages centos4

where can I find packages for hplip and it's deps for centos4x?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 AM
John Doe

From: Terry Polzin <foxec208@wowway.com>
> where can I find packages for hplip and it's deps for centos4x?

Google pointed to this...
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

JD

Old 02-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Terry Polzin

Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Robert

Terry Polzin wrote:
> On Tuesday February 16 2010 04:45:05 John Doe wrote:
>
>> From: Terry Polzin<foxec208@wowway.com>
>>

>>> where can I find packages for hplip and it's deps for centos4x?
>>>
>> Google pointed to this...
>> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
>>
>> JD
>>

> Been there, just source not a helpful site at all. Hplip's many deps that
> seem to be outside the mainstream distro make it hard to compile.

It has been too long ago to remember the details but I just mounted a
CentOS-4 disk to verify that I did, in fact, rebuild hplip for
CentOS-4. I don't know where the SRPM came from (I suspect it was for
some version of Fedora) but it successfully built on that CentOS-4 box.
I *DO* remember that there were allegedly some problems with scanning
and faxing on all-in-one printers back then but all I needed was the
"supplies" (ink levels) function.

[root@madeleine oldsys]# find . -type f -name hplip-0.9.7-4.2.i386.rpm
-exec ls -l {} ;
-rw-rw-r-- 1 rj 501 6725260 Jan 15 2006
./home/rj/rpmbuild/RPMS/i386/hplip-0.9.7-4.2.i386.rpm

[root@madeleine oldsys]# rpm -qip
./home/rj/rpmbuild/RPMS/i386/hplip-0.9.7-4.2.i386.rpm
Name : hplip Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 0.9.7 Vendor: (none)
Release : 4.2 Build Date: Sun 15 Jan 2006
10:40:46 PM CST
Install Date: (not installed) Build Host: mavis.localdomain
Group : System Environment/Daemons Source RPM:
hplip-0.9.7-4.2.src.rpm
Size : 8597226 License: GPL/MIT/BSD
Signature : (none)
Description :
The Hewlett-Packard Linux Imaging and Printing Project provides
drivers for HP printers and multi-function peripherals.
[root@madeleine oldsys]#

The source is no longer in the SRPMS directory and I have no idea where
I got it -- but if I were guessing, I'd guess it was from Rpmforge.
If I were doing it, I would try rebuilding some SRPMS **BUT** before
installing one of those homemade puppies, run this little script to be
certain that the RPM contains no files that will over-write existing files.

------------------
#!/bin/bash
T="<path/to/newly-built/rpm>"
rpm -qlp $T > /tmp/xxfiles.txt
echo "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" >> /tmp/xxfiles.txt
while read F
do
if [ -e "$F" ]
then
echo "$F Exists!"
fi
done < /tmp/xxfiles.txt
exit
(The 4th line above is there only as a quick test that the script will
report conflicts.)

BTW, if you keep the "xxfiles", copied somewhere safe and renamed, you
should be able to easily undo any silliness that results.