Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 AM

Default Hardisk cloning for centos-5.3

Hi,

I want to clone my hardisk containing
the centos-5.3 OS and its swap region on *to new raw hardisk via network

either through ssh, tftp or ftp. How
do i do that ?

Is there any Tool for that or will DD
command be sufficient.I know that dd command will have to be used on hardisk

with already existing partitions and
not on raw disk.

Regards,

Premraj M

Disclaimer : This message is proprietary to Smartlink Network Systems Limited and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Smartlink Network Systems Ltd. accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

This email has been
scrubbed for your protection by SecureMX. For more information visit
securemx.in

Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/15 <premrajm@digilink.in>:

> Hi,
>
> I want to clone my hardisk containing the centos-5.3 OS and its swap region
> on *to new raw hardisk via network
> either through ssh, tftp or ftp. How do i do that ?

dd if=localfile | ssh target_address "dd of=remotefile"

It is recommended to boot source computer with livecd to avoid
filechanges during clone operation.

--
Eero

Old 02-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Robert Heller

> Hi,
>
> I want to clone my hardisk containing the centos-5.3 OS and its swap
> region on to new raw hardisk via network
> either through ssh, tftp or ftp. How do i do that ?
>
> Is there any Tool for that or will DD command be sufficient.I know that dd
> command will have to be used on hardisk
> with already existing partitions and not on raw disk.

DD is not really the proper tool for this, for a whole pile of reasons.
See the article I wrote on this subject at the URL:

http://www.deepsoft.com/2009/01/how-to-transfer-a-linux-system-from-one-disk-to-another/

While the above article assumes that the copy is on a second *local*
disk, it is trivial to insert 'ssh remote.host.domain' into the pipe line.

> Regards,
> Premraj M
> Disclaimer : This message is proprietary to Smartlink Network Systems Limited and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Smartlink Network Systems Ltd. accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus.
>

> __________________________________________________ ____________________________
>
> This email has been scrubbed for your protection by SecureMX.
> For more information visit http://securemx.in

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 02-15-2010, 01:06 PM
James Bensley

Clonezilla do a network version that does this,

http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-server-edition/

James

Stephen Leacock - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
that I shall some day die, which is not so." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/stephen_leacock.html

Old 02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, James Bensley wrote:

> Clonezilla do a network version that does this,
>
> http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-server-edition/

+1 for Clonezilla. For smaller-scale cloning, it and an external USB
drive are just the ticket (assuming your hardware can boot from a USB
device).

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@madboa.com <> www.madboa.com

Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Les Mikesell

Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, James Bensley wrote:
>
>> Clonezilla do a network version that does this,
>>
>> http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-server-edition/
>
> +1 for Clonezilla. For smaller-scale cloning, it and an external USB
> drive are just the ticket (assuming your hardware can boot from a USB
> device).

Clonezilla is very versatile. If you have some network-shared space that can
hold an intermediate (compressed) copy of the image (via nfs, smb, or ssh) the
easy approach is to boot from the clonezilla-live CD, connect to the storage
location, and save the copy from your source machine, then repeat and restore it
on the target(s). This is also a handy way to keep snapshot backups of dual-boot
laptops etc. when making changes.

You can also do disk->disk copies from the clonezilla-live boot if you can
install them in the same box or connect with a USB adapter cable. Dd can be
used but it will copy the whole disk. Clonezilla knows enough about most
filesystems to only copy the used parts. (It's basically a linux boot with
scripted, menu driven partimag, ntfsclone, etc. tools). A USB boot works as
well or better than the CD, and if you do a lot of cloning you can add drbl to a
server (it's packaged for centos and easy to install) to provide PXE network
booting into clonezilla which comes up with the server already NFS mounted for
access to the images.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-15-2010, 05:00 PM
John R Pierce

premrajm@digilink.in wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to clone my hardisk containing the centos-5.3 OS and its swap
> region on to new raw hardisk via network
> either through ssh, tftp or ftp. How do i do that ?
>
> Is there any Tool for that or will DD command be sufficient.I know
> that dd command will have to be used on hardisk
> with already existing partitions and not on raw disk.

I'd use something like...

dump -0vf - /dev/sda2 | ssh user@host "cd / && restore rvf - .."

to clone each e2fs/e3fs partition, you should do it from single user
mode with the network manually started and as many partitions umounted
as you can other than / of course. the target is installed as a 2nd
disk on the other system? you'll need each partition created and mkfs
and mounted on the target for restore to work correctly. See the man
pages on dump, restore, as I coughed that up from memory.

this has the advantage of properly handling different partition sizes