Old 02-14-2010, 04:44 AM
hce

Default How to display laptop screen on LCD TV?

Hi,

I am running CentOS 5.2 on Acer laptop, I try to display laptop screen
on a LCD TV via VGA cable. It was fine while PC was booting in text
mode, but as soon as I started X Window, the LCD TV has error
"Unsupported signal, adjust your PC out".

How can I adjust or may be regenerate an xorg.conf for the LCD TV
(Sony KDL-40V5500)?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jupiter

Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 AM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

hce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running CentOS 5.2 on Acer laptop, I try to display laptop screen
> on a LCD TV via VGA cable. It was fine while PC was booting in text
> mode, but as soon as I started X Window, the LCD TV has error
> "Unsupported signal, adjust your PC out".

Hi

Resolution?

Or, you have to configure something like xinerama or twinview. I not
sure but I think twinview is a NVIDIA feature.

Regards

mg.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/14 hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am running CentOS 5.2 on Acer laptop, I try to display laptop screen
> on a LCD TV via VGA cable. It was fine while PC was booting in text
> mode, but as soon as I started X Window, the LCD TV has error
> "Unsupported signal, adjust your PC out".
>
> How can I adjust or may be regenerate an xorg.conf for the LCD TV
> (Sony KDL-40V5500)?

What is type of display card on computer?

Some, like nvidia and ati provides gui tools to configure settings.

--
Eero

Old 02-14-2010, 09:50 AM
hce

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:
> 2010/2/14 hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running CentOS 5.2 on Acer laptop, I try to display laptop screen
>> on a LCD TV via VGA cable. It was fine while PC was booting in text
>> mode, but as soon as I started X Window, the LCD TV has error
>> "Unsupported signal, adjust your PC out".
>>
>> How can I adjust or may be regenerate an xorg.conf for the LCD TV
>> (Sony KDL-40V5500)?
>
> What is type of display card on computer?

Acer Inspire Aspire 5920 laptop with Intel Corporation Mobile
GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03).

> Some, like nvidia and ati provides gui tools to configure settings.

I actually tried to run system-config-display --reconfig for Sony
KDL-40V5500 LCD TV, it generated a new xorg.conf and I restarted
laptop, but still could not run X window on LCD TV. Please correct me,
but I thought if the xorg.conf is reconfigurated, it should work
unless that the CentOS 5.2 does not support the type of Sony LCD?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Jupiter

Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Bob McConnell

hce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running CentOS 5.2 on Acer laptop, I try to display laptop screen
> on a LCD TV via VGA cable. It was fine while PC was booting in text
> mode, but as soon as I started X Window, the LCD TV has error
> "Unsupported signal, adjust your PC out".
>
> How can I adjust or may be regenerate an xorg.conf for the LCD TV
> (Sony KDL-40V5500)?

This is not an uncommon problem with flat panel displays, and is hardly
limited to one distribution. Step one is to find out what resolutions,
horizontal and vertical frequencies the internal display can handle.
Step two is to find out what combinations the video chips can generate.
Step three is finding out which combinations the TV can accept. Once you
determine where all three sets overlap, you configure X to use the
mutually acceptable options. You may end up with an unusable lowest
common denominator doing this, so look into any multi-display options
while you are collecting the data.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 02-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/14 hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:
>> 2010/2/14 hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running CentOS 5.2 on Acer laptop, I try to display laptop screen
>>> on a LCD TV via VGA cable. It was fine while PC was booting in text
>>> mode, but as soon as I started X Window, the LCD TV has error
>>> "Unsupported signal, adjust your PC out".
>>>
>>> How can I adjust or may be regenerate an xorg.conf for the LCD TV
>>> (Sony KDL-40V5500)?
>>
>> What is type of display card on computer?
>
> Acer Inspire Aspire 5920 laptop with Intel Corporation Mobile
> GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03).
>
>> Some, like nvidia and ati provides gui tools to configure settings.
>
> I actually tried to run system-config-display --reconfig for Sony
> KDL-40V5500 LCD TV, it generated a new xorg.conf and I restarted
> laptop, but still could not run X window on LCD TV. Please correct me,
> but I thought if the xorg.conf is reconfigurated, it should work
> unless that the CentOS 5.2 does not support the type of Sony LCD?

Automatic configuration is not always perfect, you need to find out
correct values for this kind of television.
Just enter manually correct modelines using manual of tv.
--
Eero