Old 02-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Jim Green

Default is yum a complete substitute of rpm?

Dear Centos community,
I am new to centos/redhat and I would like to know on a centos system,
can I use yum alone to do all package management? I don't want to learn
two systems and confuse myself, I understand yum is much better than
rpm if is the case?

Thank you!

Jim

Old 02-13-2010, 03:09 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Jim Green wrote:

> Dear Centos community, I am new to centos/redhat and I would like to
> know on a centos system, can I use yum alone to do all package
> management? I don't want to learn two systems and confuse myself, I
> understand yum is much better than rpm if is the case?

yum is simply a layer built on top of rpm. it's nice if you can do
everything you want with yum, but it doesn't hurt to learn the basics
of rpm anyway.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 02-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Ron Loftin

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 10:00 -0600, Jim Green wrote:
> Dear Centos community,
> I am new to centos/redhat and I would like to know on a centos system,
> can I use yum alone to do all package management? I don't want to learn
> two systems and confuse myself, I understand yum is much better than
> rpm if is the case?

I expect that you will get a bunch of replies on this.

The short form is that yum lives on TOP of RPM. It is not a replacement
for RPM.

Yum does most of the thinking for you as far as dependency management.
It is much more user-friendly, and is the preferred mechanism for
software installation and maintenance because it does the dependency
resolution for you, and saves much in the way of headaches, elevated
stress, confusion, and RSI from excessive keyboard use.

All that being said, there are times when you do want to use RPM by
itself, without Yum. If you stay with CentOS and/or RedHat long enough,
you will run across this situation now and then.

> Thank you!
>
> Jim
Ron Loftin reloftin@twcny.rr.com

"God, root, what is difference ?" Piter from UserFriendly

Old 02-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Jim Green

On 13 February 2010 10:13, Ron Loftin <reloftin@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 10:00 -0600, Jim Green wrote:
>> Dear Centos community,
>> I am new to centos/redhat and I would like to know on a centos system,
>> can I use yum alone to do all package management? I don't want to learn
>> two systems and confuse myself, I understand yum is much better than
>> rpm if is the case?
>
> I expect that you will get a bunch of replies on this.
>
> The short form is that yum lives on TOP of RPM. *It is not a replacement
> for RPM.
>
> Yum does most of the thinking for you as far as dependency management.
> It is much more user-friendly, and is the preferred mechanism for
> software installation and maintenance because it does the dependency
> resolution for you, and saves much in the way of headaches, elevated
> stress, confusion, and RSI from excessive keyboard use.
>
> All that being said, there are times when you do want to use RPM by
> itself, without Yum. *If you stay with CentOS and/or RedHat long enough,
> you will run across this situation now and then.

Thank Robert and Ron, Could you list an example where I need to use
rpm command alone? I used rpm to install stand alone package if that
is the case.

Jim

Old 02-13-2010, 03:27 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Jim Green wrote:

> On 13 February 2010 10:13, Ron Loftin <reloftin@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 10:00 -0600, Jim Green wrote:
> >> Dear Centos community,
> >> I am new to centos/redhat and I would like to know on a centos system,
> >> can I use yum alone to do all package management? I don't want to learn
> >> two systems and confuse myself, I understand yum is much better than
> >> rpm if is the case?
> >
> > I expect that you will get a bunch of replies on this.
> >
> > The short form is that yum lives on TOP of RPM. *It is not a replacement
> > for RPM.
> >
> > Yum does most of the thinking for you as far as dependency
> > management. It is much more user-friendly, and is the preferred
> > mechanism for software installation and maintenance because it
> > does the dependency resolution for you, and saves much in the way
> > of headaches, elevated stress, confusion, and RSI from excessive
> > keyboard use.
> >
> > All that being said, there are times when you do want to use RPM
> > by itself, without Yum. *If you stay with CentOS and/or RedHat
> > long enough, you will run across this situation now and then.
>
> Thank Robert and Ron, Could you list an example where I need to use
> rpm command alone? I used rpm to install stand alone package if that
> is the case.

i suspect there are yum alternatives for some of these but here's
some stuff i like:

$ rpm -qa # list all installed packages
$ rpm -qR <pkgname> # list dependencies of package
$ rpm -ql <pkgname> # display list of files in package
$ rpm -qf <filename> # what package is <filename> from?

and many others.

rday

Old 02-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Kwan Lowe

> Thank Robert and Ron, Could you list an example where I need to use
> rpm command alone? I used rpm to install stand alone package if that
> is the case.

If you need information on a specific package then you'll likely need
to use rpm directly. For the most part, anytime I need to install a
package I use yum. This includes installing a standalone package. I
use rpm mainly during troubleshooting. For example, to list package
contents, scripts, or extract portions of a package.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Jim Green

On 13 February 2010 10:27, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Jim Green wrote:

>> > I expect that you will get a bunch of replies on this.
>> >
>> > The short form is that yum lives on TOP of RPM. *It is not a replacement
>> > for RPM.
>> >
>> > Yum does most of the thinking for you as far as dependency
>> > management. It is much more user-friendly, and is the preferred
>> > mechanism for software installation and maintenance because it
>> > does the dependency resolution for you, and saves much in the way
>> > of headaches, elevated stress, confusion, and RSI from excessive
>> > keyboard use.
>> >
>> > All that being said, there are times when you do want to use RPM
>> > by itself, without Yum. *If you stay with CentOS and/or RedHat
>> > long enough, you will run across this situation now and then.
>>
>> Thank Robert and Ron, Could you list an example where I need to use
>> rpm command alone? I used rpm to install stand alone package if that
>> is the case.
>
> *i suspect there are yum alternatives for some of these but here's
> some stuff i like:
>
> *$ rpm -qa * * * * * * * * * * # list all installed packages

yum list installed

> *$ rpm -qR <pkgname> * * * * * # list dependencies of package

yum deplist <pkgname>

> *$ rpm -ql <pkgname> * * * * * # display list of files in package

> *$ rpm -qf <filename> * * * * *# what package is <filename> from?

yum provides <filename>

this kind of exercise is fun. I came from debian and it is fun to make matches

Old 02-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Jim Green

On 13 February 2010 10:35, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank Robert and Ron, Could you list an example where I need to use
>> rpm command alone? I used rpm to install stand alone package if that
>> is the case.
>
> If you need information on a specific package then you'll likely need
> to use rpm directly. For the most part, anytime I need to install a
> package I use yum. This includes installing a standalone package. I
> use rpm mainly during troubleshooting. For example, to list package
> contents, scripts, or extract portions of a package.

Thank Kwan, I get a much better feel of when to use rpm/yum now.

Sat Feb 13 18:30:01 2010