Old 02-12-2010, 11:52 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default Serial Port or USB monitoring / Logging

>Do any of you have any perl scripts that do this? I would like to look
>at your logic either for a serial or usb port.

Based on an upcoming but unlikely need I may have, I thought I would give
google a look, first hit lays some ideas out pretty easily:

http://aplawrence.com/BGarlock/logger.html

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Device-SerialPort/SerialPort.pm

What exactly do you need to do?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 AM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 00:52 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >Do any of you have any perl scripts that do this? I would like to look
> >at your logic either for a serial or usb port.
>
> Based on an upcoming but unlikely need I may have, I thought I would give
> google a look, first hit lays some ideas out pretty easily:
>
> http://aplawrence.com/BGarlock/logger.html
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Device-SerialPort/SerialPort.pm
>
> What exactly do you need to do?

Thanks for your response....

I found this script on aplawrence as well, but my first attempts failed
in making it work. I decided to take another look at it after your
note, and was successful getting Device::SerialPort to installed using a
different computer. I had to change :

#$PORT = "/dev/ttyD015"; # port to watch
$PORT = "/dev/ttyS0"; # port to watch

but I was able to make it execute.

I am trying to connect a automated urine analyzer to a serial report
with the hope of catching the results so that I can eventually
incorporate the data in a patient medical record. I intend to do the
same thing for a blood analyzer.

Now that I have Tony Lawrence's script executing I can take the next
step of connecting the urine analyzer to to the serial port to do some
testing.

Thanks for prompting me to look at the logger script again, I had given
up on it.

Greg

Old 02-13-2010, 02:14 AM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:58 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 00:52 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> > >Do any of you have any perl scripts that do this? I would like to look
> > >at your logic either for a serial or usb port.
> >
> > Based on an upcoming but unlikely need I may have, I thought I would give
> > google a look, first hit lays some ideas out pretty easily:
> >
> > http://aplawrence.com/BGarlock/logger.html
> >
> > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Device-SerialPort/SerialPort.pm
> >
> > What exactly do you need to do?
> >

> Thanks for your response....
>
> I found this script on aplawrence as well, but my first attempts failed
> in making it work. I decided to take another look at it after your
> note, and was successful getting Device::SerialPort to installed using a
> different computer. I had to change :
>
> #$PORT = "/dev/ttyD015"; # port to watch
> $PORT = "/dev/ttyS0"; # port to watch
>
> but I was able to make it execute.
>
> I am trying to connect a automated urine analyzer to a serial report
> with the hope of catching the results so that I can eventually
> incorporate the data in a patient medical record. I intend to do the
> same thing for a blood analyzer.
>
> Now that I have Tony Lawrence's script executing I can take the next
> step of connecting the urine analyzer to to the serial port to do some
> testing.
>
> Thanks for prompting me to look at the logger script again, I had given
> up on it.
>
> Greg

I did some additional testing and I am unable to get Device::SerialPort
to install using cpan on Fedora 12, but it works perfectly on Centos 5.4

On the Fedora system I am getting :
/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL' returned status 512, won't make

I plan to use Centos for this project, but was doing some testing with
Fedora in the beginning.

Greg

Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 AM
JohnS

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:58 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> I am trying to connect a automated urine analyzer to a serial report
> with the hope of catching the results so that I can eventually
> incorporate the data in a patient medical record. I intend to do the
> same thing for a blood analyzer.
>
> Now that I have Tony Lawrence's script executing I can take the next
> step of connecting the urine analyzer to to the serial port to do some
> testing.
----
Greg.

I Know someone has already asked what you were trying to do. You are
better off doing this via RF instead of Serial. I've done this for many
years . You will catch hell from Lab Techs, Doctors, and Nurses from
them having to connect it to a serial port. That is just the iceing on
the cake, not to mention your Application will not be Certified for any
Health Care Facility. Thus meaning they could get fined by DHEC and
Medicaid/Medicare.

If your facility is participating in the Gov. healthcare grants you can
look to many certified vendors for *Nix platforms for the
software/hardware to do this. If you have any questions you can send me
a personal mail. Look at the HL7 coding Laws also.

John

Old 02-13-2010, 11:34 AM
JohnS

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:58 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> I am trying to connect a automated urine analyzer to a serial report
> with the hope of catching the results so that I can eventually
> incorporate the data in a patient medical record. I intend to do the
> same thing for a blood analyzer.

---
I see what your doing now after looking @ /smile.php. I would like to
see it though. Any chance in that?

John

Old 02-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Les Mikesell

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>>> Based on an upcoming but unlikely need I may have, I thought I would give
>>> google a look, first hit lays some ideas out pretty easily:
>>>
>>> http://aplawrence.com/BGarlock/logger.html
>>>
>>> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Device-SerialPort/SerialPort.pm
>>>
>>> What exactly do you need to do?
>>>
>> Thanks for your response....
>>
>> I found this script on aplawrence as well, but my first attempts failed
>> in making it work. I decided to take another look at it after your
>> note, and was successful getting Device::SerialPort to installed using a
>> different computer. I had to change :
>>
>> #$PORT = "/dev/ttyD015"; # port to watch
>> $PORT = "/dev/ttyS0"; # port to watch
>>
>> but I was able to make it execute.
>>
>> I am trying to connect a automated urine analyzer to a serial report
>> with the hope of catching the results so that I can eventually
>> incorporate the data in a patient medical record. I intend to do the
>> same thing for a blood analyzer.
>>
>> Now that I have Tony Lawrence's script executing I can take the next
>> step of connecting the urine analyzer to to the serial port to do some
>> testing.
>>
>> Thanks for prompting me to look at the logger script again, I had given
>> up on it.
>>
>> Greg
>>
> I did some additional testing and I am unable to get Device::SerialPort
> to install using cpan on Fedora 12, but it works perfectly on Centos 5.4
>
> On the Fedora system I am getting :
> /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL' returned status 512, won't make
>
> I plan to use Centos for this project, but was doing some testing with
> Fedora in the beginning.

ckermit can do about anything you would want to do with a serial port. It has
an odd scripting language and is slightly geared to talking to smartmodems,
though. You might find it handy for interactive testing even if you end up
writing a more dedicated program in C or perl.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-15-2010, 04:43 AM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 07:34 -0500, JohnS wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:58 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>
> > I am trying to connect a automated urine analyzer to a serial report
> > with the hope of catching the results so that I can eventually
> > incorporate the data in a patient medical record. I intend to do the
> > same thing for a blood analyzer.
> >
> ---
> I see what your doing now after looking @ /smile.php. I would like to
> see it though. Any chance in that?
>
> John

John,

I'll be happy to share it with you. Your admonitions in the previous
e-mail are appropriate. The urine analyzer does not communicate in HL7.
I do have a bunch of code that is an HL7 parser for communication with
Quest diagnostics.

The analyzer has both a usb and serial port that communicates with a
printer with a simple ASCII data stream, no formatting. It should be a
simple task to catch the data and send it to our record.

I was not able to make Tony Lawrence's script to work on Fedora for some
reason, but it worked fine with Centos. I wanted to use Centos anyway,
so I have to do some moving of hardware etc to get things ready to test.

I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for your interest.

Greg

Old 02-15-2010, 09:29 AM
JohnS

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 23:43 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> I'll be happy to share it with you. Your admonitions in the previous
> e-mail are appropriate. The urine analyzer does not communicate in HL7.
> I do have a bunch of code that is an HL7 parser for communication with
> Quest diagnostics.
>
> The analyzer has both a usb and serial port that communicates with a
> printer with a simple ASCII data stream, no formatting. It should be a
> simple task to catch the data and send it to our record.
>
> I was not able to make Tony Lawrence's script to work on Fedora for some
> reason, but it worked fine with Centos. I wanted to use Centos anyway,
> so I have to do some moving of hardware etc to get things ready to test.
>
> I'll keep you informed.
>
> Thanks for your interest.
>
> Greg
------

Yes please do that, I am a big PACS fan among other things like your
doing. Also interested in the Small Practice Management to.

John