Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Paul Heinlein

Default Login timed out after 60 seconds

A server at work today appeared unresponsive to all network traffic.
The machine in question doesn't have a k/v/m terminal; it's configured
to use a serial console.

So I connected to the serial console and got /etc/issue (with all the
char sequences properly expanded).

At the login: prompt I typed root and pressed Enter. Several seconds
went by before the Password: prompt was displayed. I typed the
password and soon saw

Login timed out after 60 seconds

At which point /etc/issue and the login: prompt reappeared.

Later investigation revealed the load average was hovering around 100,
so it's unlikely the machine would be able to process the username and
password in under a minute.

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to lengthen that timeout
value from 60 to, say, 180. This isn't the first time I've wanted to
kill a runaway process and been unable to get a console because of
that timeout.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Benjamin Franz

Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to lengthen that timeout
> value from 60 to, say, 180. This isn't the first time I've wanted to
> kill a runaway process and been unable to get a console because of
> that timeout.

At a guess, you should look at
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/howlinuxworks/linux_hllogin.html

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 02-12-2010, 12:00 AM
"nate"

Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to lengthen that timeout
> value from 60 to, say, 180. This isn't the first time I've wanted to
> kill a runaway process and been unable to get a console because of
> that timeout.

I poked around a bunch but couldn't find a config that can be
adjusted.. I do see that the particular message comes from /bin/login

# strings login | grep -i timed
Login timed out after %d seconds

which seems to be part of the util-linux package, so perhaps poke
around in the source, maybe there is a .h file that you can adjust
with a higher value and rebuild it.

nate

Old 02-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, nate wrote:

> Paul Heinlein wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to lengthen that timeout
>> value from 60 to, say, 180. This isn't the first time I've wanted
>> to kill a runaway process and been unable to get a console because
>> of that timeout.
>
> I poked around a bunch but couldn't find a config that can be
> adjusted.. I do see that the particular message comes from
> /bin/login
>
> # strings login | grep -i timed
> Login timed out after %d seconds
>
> which seems to be part of the util-linux package, so perhaps poke
> around in the source, maybe there is a .h file that you can adjust
> with a higher value and rebuild it.

And we have a winner!

It's a simple declared variable in login-utils/login.c:

int timeout = 60;

The timeout variable is passed to alarm(). Once SIGALRM is raised,
login prints the "Login timed out..." message, resets the terminal,
and exits.

So the question is, do I want to patch the util-linux SRPM? Hmm...