Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Default how to work with Code Repositories, but for web development?

Greetings,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like some suggestion on this matter please. I have never bothered
> using any code repositories / version control systems for our web
> development project, many cause I didn't know any better, and probably cause
> most of our projects don't really require that we need to keep a history of
> what has changed. i.e. a client wants to change something on their website,
> and we change it, whether it's cosmetics or code (normally PHP & MySQL).
>
> But, I want to see if CVS, or maybe even a forge script (like in offerforge)
> could benefit met. Most of the time when we make changes to the code, we
> simply update the version, from say 1.2.2 to 1.2.3 and write the changes to
> a basic changelog, which in our case is a simple text file calles
> changelog.txt
>
> But, how could I benefit from a CVS, ir similar system? And what would be
> best for this environment? I installed CVS on my CentOS server, but it seems
> that it's not just a matter of creating a tree and dumping code.* I'm not
> too worried about multiple users at this stage. All our coding is currently
> stored on a CentOS 5.4 Samba server, so we can access to the code from
> either a Windows or Linux PC. Do I need anything more?
>
> I started using eclipse+PHP a few months ago and I don't really use it to
> its full potential, so I'm sure I could benefit from it more.
>

> So, the question is, what is a good recommended setup to go with? Web based
> access to all the files would be nice, then we could access it from outside
> the LAN on HTTPS.
> And how do I use it to my benefit? For example, clientA wants to make
> changes to Project1. Now I have a Project1 in the CVS tree (is this the
> right terminology?), and make changes to file contacts.php - what now? Do I
> need to create a subfolder called 1.2.2 (for example), and add only the
> updated file in this folder, or do I copy the whole Project into the new
> folder?
>
> 2 weeks down the line I need to make changes to 8 files, what do I do now?
>

> Does this make sense? I realize it could be beneficial to keep older files,
> but how does one structure it?

+1

Though I have got SVN with ACL and all that going at couple of places,
I have never come around to use it. I have heard elsewhere that
Sysadmins use that for config file and the such.

Also I was wondering if we can have some tutorials around centos like
the excellent typical use case examples of Samba.

I will try and contribute what I can in terms of knowledge, experience
anecdotes and the such.

Perhaps in the wiki?

For example multi location scenario, cases of some server within and
some hosted with ISP etc. Suggested infrastructure components for
various scenarios like development/ distributed development, web based
app, fixed and adsl mixure of client scenarios etc. etc. etc.

Hope I am made myself somewhat clear...

Apologies for highjacking this thread...

Regards,

Rajagopal

Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Dave Cross

On 11 February 2010 10:44, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like some suggestion on this matter please. I have never bothered
> using any code repositories / version control systems for our web
> development project, many cause I didn't know any better, and probably cause
> most of our projects don't really require that we need to keep a history of
> what has changed. i.e. a client wants to change something on their website,
> and we change it, whether it's cosmetics or code (normally PHP & MySQL).

[ snip ]

If you're just getting into source code control, then I'd strongly
recommend bypassing "legacy" systems like CVS and Subversion. Most of
the world seems to be moving to distributed system like git
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29).

You can host your own git repositories, or you can use a third party
hosting service like github (http://github.com/).

I moved all of my projects from Subversion to github
(http://github.com/davorg/) a year ago and I'm very happy with it.

Cheers,

Dave...

Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

and perhaps Subtrain will help to go one step further

http://www.polarion.com/downloads/svn.php

Regards

Rajagopal

Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:

On 11 February 2010 10:44, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:

> Hi all,

> I would like some suggestion on this matter please. I have never bothered

> using any code repositories / version control systems for our web

> development project, many cause I didn't know any better, and probably cause

> most of our projects don't really require that we need to keep a history of

> what has changed. i.e. a client wants to change something on their website,

> and we change it, whether it's cosmetics or code (normally PHP & MySQL).

[ snip ]

If you're just getting into source code control, then I'd strongly

recommend bypassing "legacy" systems like CVS and Subversion. Most of

the world seems to be moving to distributed system like git

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29).

You can host your own git repositories, or you can use a third party

hosting service like github (http://github.com/).

I moved all of my projects from Subversion to github

(http://github.com/davorg/) a year ago and I'm very happy with it.

Cheers,

Dave...

Thanx Dave, I'll check it out. Isn't GIT more aimed at software, than web development projects?

P.S. I don't have a problem hosting my own code, we already have all the infrastructure in place

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com

Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 02-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Dave Cross

On 11 February 2010 11:26, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 11 February 2010 10:44, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I would like some suggestion on this matter please. I have never
>> > bothered
>> > using any code repositories / version control systems for our web
>> > development project, many cause I didn't know any better, and probably
>> > cause
>> > most of our projects don't really require that we need to keep a history
>> > of
>> > what has changed. i.e. a client wants to change something on their
>> > website,
>> > and we change it, whether it's cosmetics or code (normally PHP & MySQL).
>>
>> [ snip ]
>>
>> If you're just getting into source code control, then I'd strongly
>> recommend bypassing "legacy" systems like CVS and Subversion. Most of
>> the world seems to be moving to distributed system like git
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29).
>>
>> You can host your own git repositories, or you can use a third party
>> hosting service like github (http://github.com/).
>>
>> I moved all of my projects from Subversion to github
>> (http://github.com/davorg/) a year ago and I'm very happy with it.
>>

> Thanx Dave, I'll check it out. Isn't GIT more aimed at software, than web
> development projects?
>
> P.S. I don't have a problem hosting my own code, we already have all the
> infrastructure in place

Git can be used to store any data that you want to keep different versions of.

Dave...

Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Les Mikesell

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com
> <mailto:davorg@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 11 February 2010 10:44, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com
> <mailto:Rudi@softdux.com>> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like some suggestion on this matter please. I have never
> bothered
> > using any code repositories / version control systems for our web
> > development project, many cause I didn't know any better, and
> probably cause
> > most of our projects don't really require that we need to keep a
> history of
> > what has changed. i.e. a client wants to change something on
> their website,
> > and we change it, whether it's cosmetics or code (normally PHP &
> MySQL).
>
> [ snip ]
>
> If you're just getting into source code control, then I'd strongly
> recommend bypassing "legacy" systems like CVS and Subversion. Most of
> the world seems to be moving to distributed system like git
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29).
>
> You can host your own git repositories, or you can use a third party
> hosting service like github (http://github.com/).
>
> I moved all of my projects from Subversion to github
> (http://github.com/davorg/) a year ago and I'm very happy with it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave...
>

> Thanx Dave, I'll check it out. Isn't GIT more aimed at software, than
> web development projects?
>
> P.S. I don't have a problem hosting my own code, we already have all the
> infrastructure in place

The philosophical difference between git and subversion is that subversion by
design has only one central repository. You can branch the work there if you
want to maintain different versions simultaneously, but the working copies where
you make changes don't store the history or multiple versions. With git you can
clone the whole repository and make changes locally and it is optional whether
the central (if there is such a thing) repository accepts your changes.
Subversion is good if you want central control and have good network connections
to all places where you edit. Git is better if some people need to edit offline
or people want to be able to fork the work and never commit back to the original
repository. If you use subversion, you probably want to start with the current
version packaged in rpmforge instead of the ancient one in stock centos.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> SVN. Easy to setup, and the docs are excellent. I'm using it all the time.

I second that: it the OP is not that familiar with version control
systems, Subversion is more intuitive and answers will be easy to find
on the web.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Pascal Robert

Le 10-02-11 à 09:05, Mathieu Baudier a écrit :

>> SVN. Easy to setup, and the docs are excellent. I'm using it all
>> the time.
>
> I second that: it the OP is not that familiar with version control
> systems, Subversion is more intuitive and answers will be easy to find
> on the web.

And more client tools too, including the ones that you can install in
Eclipse.