Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 AM
John Doe

Default how to work with Code Repositories, but for web development?

From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@SoftDux.com>
>I would like some suggestion on this matter please. I have never bothered using any code repositories / version control systems for our web development project, many cause I didn't know any better, and probably cause most of our projects don't really require that we need to keep a history of what has changed. i.e. a client wants to change something on their website, and we change it, whether it's cosmetics or code (normally PHP & MySQL).
>But, I want to see if CVS, or maybe even a forge script (like in offerforge) could benefit met. Most of the time when we make changes to the code, we simply update the version, from say 1.2.2 to 1.2.3 and write the changes to a basic changelog, which in our case is a simple text file calles changelog.txt

Check subversion: http://subversion.apache.org/
They have a quite good documentation: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

It is nice to be able to go back to n previous version in case you realised that the newer versions messed up everything...
people can work in parallel on different versions (production/dev, 1.x, 2.x...), etc...

JD