Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 AM
Paul Johnson

Default what causes CUPS to dis-enable a printer?

In our computer lab, there are 6 Centos 5.4 workstations. There is an
HP printer with jet direct card. It often works.

But sometimes users come and get me saying the printer is broken, but
it is actually working fine for *most* of the workstations.

On the troubled system, I run system-config-printer and I check the
printer in question (under properties) and I see the printer has been
disabled. I mean, the box by the word Enabled is empty.

After I manually (use lprm) remove the print jobs, and set the printer
to Enabled, then the print queue will start working again.

I've checked the files in /var/log/cups and there's nothing evident.
error_log has nothing.

We have had the problem during the year (that others have reported in
this list). When trying to print some pdf files from Evince, the
symptom of the problem is that the pdf files don't print. They seem to
"clog" the printer. When that happens, I have seen the Enabled box
come unchecked in the printer configurator. However, the most recent
problems are not associated with the use of Evince.

I would really appreciate some tips about how to bugshoot this problem.

pj

ps. The Cups server is running on the system in question, lpq shows
lots of print jobs waiting.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 02-10-2010, 05:32 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
> But sometimes users come and get me saying the printer is broken, but
> it is actually working fine for *most* of the workstations.
>
> On the troubled system, I run system-config-printer and I check the
> printer in question (under properties) *and I see the printer has been
> disabled. I mean, the box by the word Enabled is empty.

I would strongly suggest using the web interface localhost:631 instead
of system-config-printer.

Regards,

Rajagopal

Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Kwan Lowe

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
> In our computer lab, there are 6 Centos 5.4 workstations. There is an
> HP printer with jet direct card. It often works.
>
> But sometimes users come and get me saying the printer is broken, but
> it is actually working fine for *most* of the workstations.
>
> On the troubled system, I run system-config-printer and I check the
> printer in question (under properties) *and I see the printer has been
> disabled. I mean, the box by the word Enabled is empty.
>
> After I manually (use lprm) remove the print jobs, and set the printer
> to Enabled, then the print queue will start working again.

There is a cups timeout value that might help. Cups will disable a
printer if it doesn't respond after a certain amount of time. If you
add a Timeout value to cupsd.conf you can either disable or set the
timeout higher.

If that doesn't work, you may need to change the loglevel to debug and
watch until it fails.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Robert Heller

> In our computer lab, there are 6 Centos 5.4 workstations. There is an
> HP printer with jet direct card. It often works.
>
> But sometimes users come and get me saying the printer is broken, but
> it is actually working fine for *most* of the workstations.
>
> On the troubled system, I run system-config-printer and I check the
> printer in question (under properties) and I see the printer has been
> disabled. I mean, the box by the word Enabled is empty.
>
> After I manually (use lprm) remove the print jobs, and set the printer
> to Enabled, then the print queue will start working again.
>
> I've checked the files in /var/log/cups and there's nothing evident.
> error_log has nothing.
>
> We have had the problem during the year (that others have reported in
> this list). When trying to print some pdf files from Evince, the
> symptom of the problem is that the pdf files don't print. They seem to
> "clog" the printer. When that happens, I have seen the Enabled box
> come unchecked in the printer configurator. However, the most recent
> problems are not associated with the use of Evince.

Unless you have a proper print filter for them (on the Linux system!),
PDF files cannot be printed.

> I would really appreciate some tips about how to bugshoot this problem.
>
> pj
>
> ps. The Cups server is running on the system in question, lpq shows
> lots of print jobs waiting.

Wondering if the printer *by itself* can manage handling connections
for a number of workstations and arbitrating jobs. Maybe you need a
Linux print server to manage the print queue and feed jobs to the
printer one at a time. It seems like some of the workstations are
getting a refused connection and thinking the printer is 'dead' (and
thus disabling it), when it is merely too busy to respond. A proper
linux print server would queue up the job and be ready for additional
connections.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 02-10-2010, 02:32 PM
William Warren

On 2/10/2010 9:15 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> In our computer lab, there are 6 Centos 5.4 workstations. There is an
>> HP printer with jet direct card. It often works.
>>
>> But sometimes users come and get me saying the printer is broken, but
>> it is actually working fine for *most* of the workstations.
>>
>> On the troubled system, I run system-config-printer and I check the
>> printer in question (under properties) and I see the printer has been
>> disabled. I mean, the box by the word Enabled is empty.
>>
>> After I manually (use lprm) remove the print jobs, and set the printer
>> to Enabled, then the print queue will start working again.
>>
>> I've checked the files in /var/log/cups and there's nothing evident.
>> error_log has nothing.
>>
>> We have had the problem during the year (that others have reported in
>> this list). When trying to print some pdf files from Evince, the
>> symptom of the problem is that the pdf files don't print. They seem to
>> "clog" the printer. When that happens, I have seen the Enabled box
>> come unchecked in the printer configurator. However, the most recent
>> problems are not associated with the use of Evince.
>>
> Unless you have a proper print filter for them (on the Linux system!),
> PDF files cannot be printed.
>

>> I would really appreciate some tips about how to bugshoot this problem.
>>
>> pj
>>
>> ps. The Cups server is running on the system in question, lpq shows
>> lots of print jobs waiting.
>>
> Wondering if the printer *by itself* can manage handling connections
> for a number of workstations and arbitrating jobs. Maybe you need a
> Linux print server to manage the print queue and feed jobs to the
> printer one at a time. It seems like some of the workstations are
> getting a refused connection and thinking the printer is 'dead' (and
> thus disabling it), when it is merely too busy to respond. A proper
> linux print server would queue up the job and be ready for additional
> connections.

I have to agree with Robert here. Instead of running a separate server
on each box run a central cups server on one machine and have it take
care of everything. I bet since all of the machines are their own
servers they printer can't keep up and the individual machines are
timing out...

Old 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Dave

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:

After I manually (use lprm) remove the print jobs, and set the printer

to Enabled, then the print queue will start working again.

Me too, but even stranger, I do not remove the print jobs and they print fine as soon as I enable the printer again. This is usually after a power outage or some temporary problem with the main print server. For some reason client cups instances get offended by the server and disable the printer. Then after I fix the real problem, I have to go around re-enabling printers on all the clients.

Would it (should it) eventually notice that the server is back and re-enable itself just as automatically as it disabled itself?

Dave

--
———————————————— ——————-
Q: Why should this email be 5 sentences or less?

A: http://five.sentenc.es

Old 02-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Dave

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Rajagopal Swaminathan <raju.rajsand@gmail.com> wrote:

I would strongly suggest using the web interface localhost:631 instead

of system-config-printer.

In what way is this superior?
Dave

--
———————————————— ——————-
Q: Why should this email be 5 sentences or less?

IPRC-help FAQ: https://wailua/wiki/index.php/Faq

Old 02-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Steve Huff

On Feb 10, 2010, at 2:29 PM, Dave wrote:

Would it (should it) eventually notice that the server is back and
re-enable itself just as automatically as it disabled itself?

not according to the default CUPS configuration under RHEL/CentOS.

http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-cupsd-conf.html

the relevant directive is ErrorPolicy.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v

http://five.sentenc.es

Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Paul Johnson

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Dave <tdbtdb+centos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it (should it) eventually notice that the server is back and re-enable
> itself just as automatically as it disabled itself?
>
> Dave

I found several people who offer cron scripts to do exactly that! It
is amazing what you find after you learn the correct thing to Google
for! Here, the magic words are "lpstat" and "enabled"

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-2824

"How do I start (enable) printer queues from a cron job in Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 4?"

Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Dave

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Dave <tdbtdb+centos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Would it (should it) eventually notice that the server is back and re-enable
>> itself just as automatically as it disabled itself?
>> Dave
>>

> I found several people who offer cron scripts to do exactly that! *It
> is amazing what you find after you learn the correct thing to Google
> for! *Here, the magic words are "lpstat" and "enabled"
>

> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-2824
>
> "How do I start (enable) printer queues from a cron job in Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 4?"

Handy, only it invokes 'enable' which does not exist on my system.
Probably the centos equivalent is cupsenable?

[root@cod ~]# rpm -qs cups|grep enable
normal /usr/sbin/cupsenable
normal /usr/share/doc/cups-1.3.7/help/man-cupsenable.html
normal /usr/share/man/man8/cupsenable.8.gz
[root@cod ~]# man cupsenable|cat -
cupsenable(8) Apple Inc. cupsenable(8)

NAME
cupsdisable, cupsenable - stop/start printers and classes

SYNOPSIS
cupsdisable [ -E ] [-U username ] [ -c ] [ -h server[ort] ] [ -r rea-
son ] destination(s)
cupsenable [ -E ] [-U username ] [ -c ] [ -h server[ort] ] destina-
tion(s)

DESCRIPTION
cupsenable starts the named printers or classes.

cupsdisable stops the named printers or classes. The following options
may be used:

I'll test it out next time I have this problem.

mahalo,
Dave