Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Jobst Schmalenbach

Default what causes CUPS to dis-enable a printer?

Wouldnt it be much better to use the "backend error handler"??

instead of placing "socket://192.168.168.168:9100" into the device
address you place "beh:/1//3/5/socket://192.168.168.168:9100" into
the device address.

The backend error handler is described here:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/backenderrorhandler

I use it all the time with a variety of printers and servers (not all servers
and not all printers need it).

JObst

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 01:12:36PM -0600, Paul Johnson (pauljohn32@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Dave <tdbtdb+centos@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Would it (should it) eventually notice that the server is back and re-enable
> > itself just as automatically as it disabled itself?
> >
> > Dave
> >

> I found several people who offer cron scripts to do exactly that! It
> is amazing what you find after you learn the correct thing to Google
> for! Here, the magic words are "lpstat" and "enabled"
>

> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-2824
>
> "How do I start (enable) printer queues from a cron job in Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 4?"
>

> --
> Paul E. Johnson
> Professor, Political Science
> 1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
> University of Kansas

Howard's conjecture: The total dinner check of a party eating dutch will never equal the total of what each diner admits to having eaten.