Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Les Mikesell

Default strange disk error

Алексей wrote:
> Hi everyone .
>
> Recently I had a strange error on one of my servers ,running Centos 5.4
> 64bit
>
> FAILED
> kernel: status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
> kernel: <6>sd: Current: sense key: Illegal Request
> kernel: Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
>

> *Should i be worried sick about it or is it normal??*
>

> *There are 2 sas hdd connected into raid 1 to Adaptec AIC-9410W SAS controller.
> I can't get any information about my drives health (no S.M.A.R.T there) and to get information about raid quality i must restart system and enter raid bios- which is not very good option
>

> And maybe someone knows how to get health information om my raidhdd from Centos ?
>

> P.S. error happened about 20 times for the last 2 days and I am worried

Does 'dmesg' give a better description? I frequently see messages like that
associated with empty CD/DVD drives - not sure what tries to access them.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Ross Walker

On Feb 9, 2010, at 7:55 AM, Алексей <me@algalish.ru> wrote:

> Hi everyone .
>
> Recently I had a strange error on one of my servers ,running Centos
> 5.4
> 64bit
>
> FAILED
> kernel: status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
> kernel: <6>sd: Current: sense key: Illegal Request
> kernel: Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
>

> *Should i be worried sick about it or is it normal??*
>

> *There are 2 sas hdd connected into raid 1 to Adaptec AIC-9410W SAS
> controller.
> I can't get any information about my drives health (no S.M.A.R.T
> there) and to get information about raid quality i must restart
> system and enter raid bios- which is not very good option
>

> And maybe someone knows how to get health information om my raid
> hdd from Centos ?
>

> P.S. error happened about 20 times for the last 2 days and I am
> worried

The illegal request error means something on the system tried to issue
a SCSI command that isn't supported on the controller.

Probably smartmon.

Try excluding those drives from smartmon and see if Adaptec has a
Linux monitoring tool for that card.

-Ross