Old 02-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Default Experiencing continual eth0 link up/down on a 10G Chelsio NIC (cxgb3 driver)

Hi Arun,

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Arun Khan <knura9@gmail.com> wrote:
> The file server has a Chelsio T310 10GBASE-CX4 RNIC (rev 3) PCI
> Express x8 MSI-X (eth0), driver and firmware is stock from the CentOS
> Plus kernel.
Way way back, I had similar problems on a bunch of servers with 3Com
cards and some 3Com switches.
It turns out to be the autonegotiation of the 3Com cards and switches
we got at that time were buggy and some idiot had set the switches to
100Mbit full duplex and the cards to autoneg and it kept initiating
autonegation and the buggy card kept on doing the wrong rate. The
result was poor performance and constant link down/up cycle.

It's worth checking what the switch side is set to. Also setting both
sides to a particular value might help or just remove all and leave
for autonegation.

> The hardware vendor tells me that the card either fails completely
> (kaput) or works - there is no grey area. *He is of the opinion that
> the problem is with the driver.
The last thing, IMHO, never trust a supplier trying to wriggle out of
a support case I've seen plenty of network cards that's on the way
but not dead yet.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Arun Khan

Hi Jobst, Brent, and Hakan,

Thanks for your inputs. I sincerely appreciate your suggestions and
sharing your experience.

I have posted a support query with Chelsio as well.

In my case the connection is a Fiber cable. On the switch side there
is only one 10GB port so there is not much I can do. Luckily the
switch and the cable, besides the NIC, has also been supplied by the
same vendor.

I am going to request the hardware vendor to send their engineer and
to take on the next steps.

Will post final findings over here when the problem is solved.

-- Arun Khan

Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Arun Khan

SOLVED

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Arun Khan <knura9@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am going to request the hardware vendor to send their engineer and
> to take on the next steps.

The hardware vendor finally sent their technical support team.

> Will post final findings over here when the problem is solved.
After investigation, they concluded the card was overheating and this
was the possible cause of link going up/down.
They have changed the location of the server. Hopefully, the problem
will not manifest again.

-- Arun Khan