Old 02-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Jerry Geis

Default slowness in sendmail - 60 second timeout

> />>/ Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... 220 devcentos5x64.msgnet.com
> />>/ ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Mon, 8 Feb 2010 10:02:15 -0500 >>> EHLO
> />>/ devcentos5x64.msgnet.com 250- devcentos5x64.msgnet.com Hello localhost
> />>/ [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 250-PIPELINING
> />>/ 250-8BITMIME 250-SIZE 250- DSN 250-ETRN 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
> />>/ 250-DELIVERBY 250 HELP >>> MAIL From:<root at devcentos5x64.msgnet.com <http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos>>
> />>/ a line by itself >>> . 250 2.0.0 o18F2FMV002336 Message accepted for
> />>/ delivery geisj at pagestation.com... <http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos> Sent (o18F2FMV002336 Message accepted
> />>/ for delivery) Closing connection to [127.0.0.1] >>> QUIT 221 2.0.0
> />>/ devcentos5x64.msgnet.com closing connection [root at devcentos5x64 <http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos> src]#
> />/
> />/ Check your DNS resolution settings - it may be dns timeout.
> /Sorry to be more specific - make sure that devcentos5x64.msgnet.com is
> resolvable.

from pagestation.com I can "ping devcentos5x64.msgnet.com" - this entry
is in the /etc/hosts file on that machine.
There is no official MX record for devcentos5x64.msgnet.com there is for
pagestation.com.

on pagestation.com I have the /etc/hosts entry and /etc/mail/access
entry for devcentos5x64.msgnet.com
Perhaps its an MX lookup timeout value.

I am looking for a timeout setting or a way to place an entry in a
config file that says "I know this server or machine", trust it and
dont delay. Is there such a setting?

Jerry

Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 PM
"Simon Billis"

Jerry Geis sent a missive on*2010-02-08:

>> /Sorry to be more specific - make sure that devcentos5x64.msgnet.com
>> is resolvable.
>>

> from pagestation.com I can "ping devcentos5x64.msgnet.com" - this
> entry is in the /etc/hosts file on that machine.
> There is no official MX record for devcentos5x64.msgnet.com there is
> for pagestation.com.

I'm not clear that there is a dns/host entry for devcentos5x64.msgnet.com on
devcentos5x64.msgnet.com. I would make sure that there is an entry for this
host on devcentos5x64.msgnet.com. If there is then apologies for not getting
it :-).

> on pagestation.com I have the /etc/hosts entry and /etc/mail/access
> entry for devcentos5x64.msgnet.com Perhaps its an MX lookup timeout
> value.
>
> I am looking for a timeout setting or a way to place an entry in a
> config file that says "I know this server or machine", trust it and
> dont delay. Is there such a setting?

I think that sendmail is checking the "MAIL" command - there are no
timeouts that are specific to this rule afaik and sendmail would use a
timeout of 1 second (which is doubled to a max of 4 mins) if this was an
issue with bogus commands or repeated commands. From your description, it
"feels" as if there is a problem with the name resolution of
devcentos5x64.msgnet.com. You may wish to enable FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl in
the sendmail.mc and rebuild the sendmail.cf file and see if it helps. If
this makes a difference then I would look in the MAIL command checks.

Simon.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:15 PM
John R Pierce

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am sending an email from my machine devcentos5x64.
> the transcript below (hangs for 60 seconds) at the line:
> MAIL From:<root@devcentos5x64.msgnet.com> SIZE=56
> AUTH=root@devcentos5x64.msgnet.com
>
> The email succeeds - but I am trying to figure out the 60 second delay.
> Neither email server is busy. Nothing is waiting.
>
> the DNS on both machines point to the same nameserver. The DNS responds
> very fast when looking up server names.
>
> What else can I look for to remove the slowness or delay?

check reverse DNS, eg, looking up the PTR record for the IP's of both
hosts.. if the subnet's in-arpa.addr zone is badly delegated, it
could be timing out on that.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Agile Aspect

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
[snip]
> from pagestation.com I can "ping devcentos5x64.msgnet.com" - this entry
> is in the /etc/hosts file on that machine.
> There is no official MX record for devcentos5x64.msgnet.com there is for
> pagestation.com.
>
> on pagestation.com I have the /etc/hosts entry and /etc/mail/access
> entry for devcentos5x64.msgnet.com
> Perhaps its an MX lookup timeout value.
>
> *I am looking for a timeout setting or a way to place an entry in a
> config file that says "I know this server or machine", trust it and
> dont delay. Is there such a setting?

Rebuild sendmail.cf on devcentos5x64.msgnet.com to *not* use DNS.

See http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3/sf_highlight/configure+no+DNS#3.22

--
Enjoy global warming while it lasts.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Jobst Schmalenbach

One of the security features of sendmail is the REVERSE lookup.
If sendmail cant reverse lookup and the entries dont match, no mail.

You didnt specify whether devcentos5x64.msgnet.com is an internal
host and there is some other mailserver higher up the stream.

If so, use:

define(`SMART_HOST', `MAIL_SERVER_UPSTREAM')

This will solve many problems for a lot of setups.

Jobst

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:14:29AM -0500, Jerry Geis (geisj@pagestation.com) wrote:
> I am sending an email from my machine devcentos5x64.
> the transcript below (hangs for 60 seconds) at the line:
> MAIL From:<root@devcentos5x64.msgnet.com> SIZE=56
> AUTH=root@devcentos5x64.msgnet.com
>
> The email succeeds - but I am trying to figure out the 60 second delay.
> Neither email server is busy. Nothing is waiting.
>
> the DNS on both machines point to the same nameserver. The DNS responds
> very fast when looking up server names.
>
> What else can I look for to remove the slowness or delay?
>
> jerry
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> date | mail -v -v -v -v geisj@pagestation.com
> geisj@pagestation.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
> 220 devcentos5x64.msgnet.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Mon, 8 Feb
> 2010 10:02:15 -0500
> 250-devcentos5x64.msgnet.com Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to
> meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE
> 250-DSN
> 250-ETRN
> 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP
> AUTH=root@devcentos5x64.msgnet.com
> 250 2.1.0 <root@devcentos5x64.msgnet.com>... Sender ok
> 250 2.1.5 <geisj@pagestation.com>... Recipient ok
> 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
> 250 2.0.0 o18F2FMV002336 Message accepted for delivery
> geisj@pagestation.com... Sent (o18F2FMV002336 Message accepted for delivery)
> Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
> 221 2.0.0 devcentos5x64.msgnet.com closing connection
> [root@devcentos5x64 src]#

Student to Teacher: Sir, what's an oxymoron? .... Teacher to Student: "Microsoft Works".