-   -   iSCSI + kickstart (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/322508-iscsi-kickstart.html)

Ugo Bellavance 02-08-2010 11:55 AM

iSCSI + kickstart

Hi,

(I'm using RHEL, but I posted on redhat.general and rhel5 mailing lists
and didn't get an answer, so I'm taking a chance here as well)

Two of my servers have 2 nics (HP DL495c G5). Using RHEL 5.4, I'd like
to do a network install to boot from iSCSI, as the NIC supports it,
following this document: http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-6875.

However, since my data network is on a network segment that is separated
from the SAN (iSCSI) network segment, I'd need to install from pxeboot
using the LAN VLAN, but configure another nic so that it has access ot
the SAN VLAN. From what I can see, it is not possible to assign a vlan
in kickstart, and kickstart can only configure one NIC using the
--network parameter. However, I managed to configure another nic using
a %pre%. It also looks impossible to create a bonded interface in
kickstart, which I'd like to be able to create. Ideally, I'd like a
bonded interface in failover mode, and some vlan'd interface on top of
the bonded interface. But I could manage that afterwards, I guess.

It looks like only my first physical NIC can boot from the SAN, so
ideally, I'd need to have a eth0 to be in the SAN segment, and configure
eth1 for the LAN, so that it can see my dhcp, pxeboot and tftp server.

Then I guess I must change the boot mode of my NIC so that it boots
using iSCSI instead of PXE (after the install). But then, will
multipath be configured? Since I have two controllers, the lun shows me
two disks...

If anyone has had experience with this kind of installation, please let
me know.

Thanks,

Ugo