Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 PM
james Tanit

Default Exim installation on CentOS

Could someone please share some thoughts on how to set up the /etc/hosts and /etc/aliases? This is tough to set up due to the poorly written manual.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 PM
John R Pierce

james Tanit wrote:
> Could someone please share some thoughts on how to set up the /etc/hosts and /etc/aliases? This is tough to set up due to the poorly written manual.

under normal circumstances, /etc/hosts should have only two entries.
the exception to this may be if you're using NFS, then hosts should have
any NFS clients and servers names (unless you do your NFS mounts by IP
address, something I don't really recommend).

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
xxx.yyy.zzz.www hostname hostname.domainname.com

/etc/aliases would contain any email aliases you want, for instance, if
you want all mail to root to go to local account jamest...

root: jamest

there's usually a bunch of sorta stock aliases, like postmaster, etc,
these usually go to root, which in turn you forward to whomever.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:05 AM
james Tanit

Thanks.
.
I thought all emails to root will be assassinated. Now my question is that each time you created a list. Do you have to add it to the aliases? I thought mailman's web interface would handle that automatically for you.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:36 AM
John R Pierce

james Tanit wrote:
> Thanks.
> .
> I thought all emails to root will be assassinated. Now my question is that each time you created a list. Do you have to add it to the aliases? I thought mailman's web interface would handle that automatically for you.

mailman is a list manager, you didn't say anything about that before.
yes, when you create a new list in mailman, it gives you a block of
lines you add to aliases before you continue.

I've only ever used a command line interface for creating a new mailman
list. you can use the web interface for managing a list after its created.

# sudo -u mailman /usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist mylist@mydomain.com

(that path being where the mailman utils are installed via the CentOS
RPMs...)
and answer a few questions, paste what it says into the aliases file, etc.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 AM
james Tanit

i used exim, it seems that no aliases are prompted.

But I have mailman_virtual_router instead of mailman_router

Old 02-08-2010, 04:50 AM
John R Pierce

james Tanit wrote:
> i used exim, it seems that no aliases are prompted.

dunno, haven't used exim in 10+ years, its sort of the odd man out in
the email server world.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

James Tanit wrote on Sun, 7 Feb 2010 13:09:11 -0800 (PST):

> Could someone please share some thoughts on how to set up the /etc/hosts
> and /etc/aliases? This is tough to set up due to the poorly written
> manual.

If you do not know Exim and it is poorly documented (just repeating your
words, I don't know if that is true) - why do you want to use it then?
It's not the default MTA on CentOS.

Kai

Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 AM
John Horne

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 11:31 +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> James Tanit wrote on Sun, 7 Feb 2010 13:09:11 -0800 (PST):
>
> > Could someone please share some thoughts on how to set up the /etc/hosts
> > and /etc/aliases? This is tough to set up due to the poorly written
> > manual.
>
> If you do not know Exim and it is poorly documented (just repeating your
> words, I don't know if that is true) - why do you want to use it then?
> It's not the default MTA on CentOS.

I think quite a few people would disagree about the 'poorly written
manual'. Exim is cited as being one of the better MTA projects because
of its extensive documentation - over 400 pages in the specification, of
varying formats, as well as two (as far as I remember) printed books.

John.

--
John Horne Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
University of Plymouth, UK Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001

Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

> I think quite a few people would disagree about the 'poorly written
> manual'.

I'm happy to believe that. However, then the more one has to question his
intent as he apparently doesn't know this MTA, but also can't cope with
the documentation. Then he should use something he's more familiar with
instead of going a non-default route.

Kai

Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 PM
james Tanit

I didn't say that EXIM doc is poorly written though. I am saying the mailman is. I read through it. For exim, is the default on the machine. I may need to use sth. else. I hate the lousy cPanel