Old 02-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Hadi Motamedi

Default Using XEN to install Windows XP as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

Dear All
I want to use XEN to install Windows XP as guest on CentOS 5 as host . I tried as the followings :
#yum install xen virt-manager kernel-xen
#chkconfig xend on
#reboot
Then I booted my CentOS server using XEN kernel . I tried as the followings :
#virt-manager &
But when continuing to create the virtual machine , under Installation Method menu , I cannot select 'local install media (cdrom)' and just the Network install tree is highlighted . So I tried to reach the desired one , by issuing as the followings :
#virt-install --paravirt --name WindowsXP --ram 128 --file /vm --location /mnt/cdrom
But it didn't get through as well . Can you please let me know how can I do it correctly ?
Thank you
*

Old 02-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Alexander Dalloz

Am 06.02.2010 07:21, schrieb Hadi Motamedi:

> Dear All
> I want to use XEN to install Windows XP as guest on CentOS 5 as host . I tried as the followings :
> #yum install xen virt-manager kernel-xen
> #chkconfig xend on
> #reboot
> Then I booted my CentOS server using XEN kernel . I tried as the followings :
> #virt-manager &
> But when continuing to create the virtual machine , under Installation Method menu , I cannot select 'local install media (cdrom)' and just the Network install tree is highlighted . So I tried to reach the desired one , by issuing as the followings :
> #virt-install --paravirt --name WindowsXP --ram 128 --file /vm --location /mnt/cdrom
> But it didn't get through as well . Can you please let me know how can I do it correctly ?
> Thank you

Windows can only be a fully virtualized guest on Xen.

http://centos.org/docs/5/html/Virtualization-en-US/task-virt-lab1.html

Alexander