Old 02-05-2010, 06:01 PM
John R Pierce

Default best parallel / cluster SSH

Les Mikesell wrote:
>> We removed it from the Nortel BCM because the perl installation
>> accounted for more than half the space on our embedded Linux.
>>

> Can you put a realistic price on what the extra resources would cost
> these days?

when you're running on an embedded single chip processor that has a
fixed amount of flash and ram, and the board goes into 100000 units or more?

lots.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Alan McKay

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you put a realistic price on what the extra resources would cost
> these days?

Clearly you've never worked for a large company if you even ask that question.

A $1 difference in cost over 100,000 units sold is $100,000 in your pocket.

I recall the first model of BCM we decided not to put a power switch
on it for just this reason.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/5/2010 5:22 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can you put a realistic price on what the extra resources would cost
>> these days?
>
> Clearly you've never worked for a large company if you even ask that question.
>
> A $1 difference in cost over 100,000 units sold is $100,000 in your pocket.
>
> I recall the first model of BCM we decided not to put a power switch
> on it for just this reason.

What I meant by the price is how much the price was reduced for the
consumer. Manufacturers taking away functionality and not passing on
the savings isn't very interesting, but I suppose there's a point in
volume where you could pay someone to re-write perl or java code in C or
some close-to-the-metal language to save a few bytes of flash and RAM.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-06-2010, 08:33 PM

> On 2/5/2010 5:22 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Can you put a realistic price on what the extra resources would cost
>>> these days?
>>
>> Clearly you've never worked for a large company if you even ask that
>> question.
>>
>> A $1 difference in cost over 100,000 units sold is $100,000 in your
>> pocket.
>>
>> I recall the first model of BCM we decided not to put a power switch
>> on it for just this reason.
>
> What I meant by the price is how much the price was reduced for the
> consumer. Manufacturers taking away functionality and not passing on
> the savings isn't very interesting, but I suppose there's a point in
> volume where you could pay someone to re-write perl or java code in C or
> some close-to-the-metal language to save a few bytes of flash and RAM.

Rewrite perl? You mean, like using perl2c?

mark

Old 02-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Les Mikesell

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

>>> Clearly you've never worked for a large company if you even ask that
>>> question.
>>>
>>> A $1 difference in cost over 100,000 units sold is $100,000 in your
>>> pocket.
>>>
>>> I recall the first model of BCM we decided not to put a power switch
>>> on it for just this reason.
>> What I meant by the price is how much the price was reduced for the
>> consumer. Manufacturers taking away functionality and not passing on
>> the savings isn't very interesting, but I suppose there's a point in
>> volume where you could pay someone to re-write perl or java code in C or
>> some close-to-the-metal language to save a few bytes of flash and RAM.
>
> Rewrite perl? You mean, like using perl2c?

I mean if you go from supplying perl and some perl-scripted functionality, you
either have to drop the functionality or some engineer has to rewrite the code
in a different language - something that usually isn't cheap. I've never tried
perl2c - if such a thing exists it probably embeds most of perl as a library.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 17:26 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I mean if you go from supplying perl and some perl-scripted
> functionality, you
> either have to drop the functionality or some engineer has to rewrite
> the code
> in a different language

The perl interpreter is already written in C so there's nothing to
rewrite in that regard.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Alan McKay

> I mean if you go from supplying perl and some perl-scripted functionality, you
> either have to drop the functionality or some engineer has to rewrite the code
> in a different language - something that usually isn't cheap. *I've never tried
> perl2c - if such a thing exists it probably embeds most of perl as a library.

The few things we needed we rewrote in BASH - it was pretty easy (I
did most of it)