Old 02-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Les Mikesell

Default VMWare ESXi & CentOS5.4

On 2/5/2010 11:54 AM, Kwan Lowe wrote:

> There are many benefits to virtualizing. Except for a few laptops,
> everything in my house is virtualized with either ESXi, VMWare Server,
> Xen or KVM. Besides the flexibility, I like the ability to access the
> servers from whichever room I'm in. I can work in my office and when I
> want, just take the laptop outside or to kitchen and have all my apps
> still in place.

I wouldn't use remote access as a reason to virtualize (other than
during the initial setup or network troubleshooting). There are better
ways to get remote access for daily use than a VMware console (freenx,
vnc, ssh, remote X for linux, remote desktop, vnc for windows).

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 PM
"Michael Dross"

I have recently installed ESXi4 on a new HP DL380 G6 with 12GB of memory.
I am running CentOS 5.4 and CentOS 4.8. A few things I have learned.

First, for best I/O performance you should use the Vmware Paravirtualized
storage controller driver. It's a little bit of a hassle setting it up.
You just have to remake the initrd file. This will give about 10% better
disk I/O than using the other emulated controllers.

I am using in a dual development/operational environment on the same machine
, which is nice.
You can allocate resource pools, and control how much CPU, Memory each VM or
VM pool gets.

I have noticed about a * 10-15% * overall performance hit running CentOS on
the ESXi hypervisor compared to bare metal. If your applications are
very CPU and/or I/O intensive then there will be a noticeable difference
between bare metal and a hypervises solution. So the trade off is a
performance
hit vs the easy of features that come with a virtualized setting.

If you are going to run just one CentOS instance, on the VM, then I wouldn't
think it would be that advantageous to have it on a VM for performance
reasons.

If you do decide to go with ESXi, you might want to up your memory as you
will
probably want to run several VM's and memory get's eaten up pretty quickly.

-Mike