Old 02-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Default gdm-simple-greeter, redux

Does *anyone* have a clue where gdm-simple-greeter stores the usernames it
presents? I know that it is not getting it out of /etc/passwd. based on
users who can log in, since I have several machines where one user, who's
rolled off, is still showing, even though /etc/passwd has him as having a
shell that doesn't exist.

mark

Old 02-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Robert Heller

> Does *anyone* have a clue where gdm-simple-greeter stores the usernames it
> presents? I know that it is not getting it out of /etc/passwd. based on
> users who can log in, since I have several machines where one user, who's
> rolled off, is still showing, even though /etc/passwd has him as having a
> shell that doesn't exist.

Are you running yp, or ldap (ie a network authentification server)?
gdm-simple-greeter gets the usernames from the same place as login...
If you are just using shadow passwords (eg /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow,
/etc/group), gdm-simple-greeter will use the user names in /etc/passwd.
There is a setting in /etc/gdm/custom.conf that lists the usernames to
include (usuall all/*) and to exclude (various non-user 'usernames'
like nobody, bin, daemon, etc.). I doubt that gdm-simple-greeter checks
to see if users in /etc/passwd have 'valid' shells, which is why there
is an exclude option

> mark

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM
"Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)"

I'm not sure where it's stored but can't you modify it or turn it off with gdmsetup (Users tab)?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Josh Miller

Does *anyone* have a clue where gdm-simple-greeter stores the usernames it
presents? I know that it is not getting it out of /etc/passwd. based on
users who can log in, since I have several machines where one user, who's
rolled off, is still showing, even though /etc/passwd has him as having a
shell that doesn't exist.

Mark,

You could try adding the problematic username to the Exclude line in
/etc/gdm/custom.conf under the greeter section:

[greeter]
Exclude=<problem user>

HTH,
--
Josh Miller, RHCE/VCP
Seattle, WA

Old 02-06-2010, 08:28 PM

> wrote:
>

>> Does *anyone* have a clue where gdm-simple-greeter stores the usernames
>> it presents? I know that it is not getting it out of /etc/passwd. based
>> on users who can log in, since I have several machines where one user,
>> who's rolled off, is still showing, even though /etc/passwd has him as
>> having a shell that doesn't exist.
>
> Are you running yp, or ldap (ie a network authentification server)?

ldap/kerboros/AD.

> gdm-simple-greeter gets the usernames from the same place as login...
> If you are just using shadow passwords (eg /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow,
> /etc/group), gdm-simple-greeter will use the user names in /etc/passwd.
> There is a setting in /etc/gdm/custom.conf that lists the usernames to
> include (usuall all/*) and to exclude (various non-user 'usernames'
> like nobody, bin, daemon, etc.). I doubt that gdm-simple-greeter checks
> to see if users in /etc/passwd have 'valid' shells, which is why there
> is an exclude option

Thanks. Still not sure why, with our authentication/authorization, since
if it gets it via kerboros, it would have many thousands. I'll check
custom.conf, though I *thought* I'd played with that before.

mark