Old 02-05-2010, 01:31 PM
"Simon Billis"

Default Best way to backup virtual machines from Citrix XenServer.

Rafa┼é Radecki sent a missive on┬*2010-02-05:

> Hi All.
>
> I have installed Citrix XenServer. It's Linux-based virtualization
> software. Could anyone propose a good way to make backups of virtual
> machines (Linux/Windows) in it?
>
> With regards,
> R.

Do you have any shared storage that you're using which supports snapshots?
If you do, then a combination of coalescing the running VM's to disk and
taking a snap and also using traditional backup methods (application aware)
to disk/tape for archival and complete failure of the storage is a
reasonable thing to do.

S.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Benjamin Donnachie

2010/2/5 Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com>:
> I have installed Citrix XenServer. It's Linux-based virtualization software.
> Could anyone propose a good way to make backups of virtual machines
> (Linux/Windows) in it?

Try the XenServer mailing lists or wiki?

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/
http://lists.xensource.com/

Ben

Old 02-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Markus Falb

Old 02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Do you have any shared storage that you're using which supports snapshots?

If you do, then a combination of coalescing the running VM's to disk and

taking a snap and also using traditional backup methods (application aware)

to disk/tape for archival and complete failure of the storage is a

reasonable thing to do.

S.

the main problem with this, is that one client on that VM (think about shared hosting accounts on the VM) wants to restore a single file, or a few files, then you're going to have to restore the whole snapshot and a lot of other files will be lost.*

I'm experimenting with an NFS mount from our backup server. Basically, export the NFS share, and mount it inside the VM, then use your*favorite*backup procedure / software. For our cPanel VM's, we use cPanel's native backup function which makes use of rsync - and allows us to restore a single file if needed. For other VM's without a control panel, rsync also works well.*

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com

Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 02-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Les Mikesell

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

[...]

For file by file backups, I always recommend backuppc as the first choice,
especially in a situation where you have several hosts containing copies of the
same files since backuppc will pool all the duplicates in its storage. Of
course you may also want some less frequent image copies of the host for faster
restores if you need to rebuild from scratch.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
"Simon Billis"

Rudi Ahlers sent a missive on*2010-02-07:

>> 2010/2/5 Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com>
>> Do you have any shared storage that you're using which supports
>> snapshots? If you do, then a combination of coalescing the running VM's
>> to disk and taking a snap and also using traditional backup methods
>> (application aware) to disk/tape for archival and complete failure of
>> the storage is a reasonable thing to do.
>
> the main problem with this, is that one client on that VM (think about
> shared hosting accounts on the VM) wants to restore a single file, or
> a few files, then you're going to have to restore the whole snapshot
> and a lot of other files will be lost.

Not necessarily, some storage will allow the mounting of a snap as readonly
specifically to allow for this type of restore. The storage will also allow
for the snap to be R/W or duplicated and to be allocated to another host to
become a live machine.

> I'm experimenting with an NFS mount from our backup server. Basically,
> export the NFS share, and mount it inside the VM, then use your
> favorite backup procedure / software. For our cPanel VM's, we use
> cPanel's native backup function which makes use of rsync - and allows
> us to restore a single file if needed. For other VM's without a
> control panel, rsync also works well.

I've had mixed results with NFS, sometimes under high loading it would fail
and usually when I was in the process of backing up a few machines (four or
more) at once to the NFS server.

Good quality storage (which usually comes at a price) will provide the
functionality that is needed to backup the VM's either as a complete VM
image or files from the VM filesystem. Entry level storage from suppliers
such as Equallogic/Dell comes with this functionality and it is possible to
have the storage up and attached to servers within 10 mins from un-boxing it
(but do allow a little longer to understand it ;-) .)

I do believe that all backup strategies need to be examined frequently to
ensure that they have met and are meeting your needs as the requirement
often changes when new applications are rolled out or the usage of an
existing application changes.

S.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM
"nate"

Simon Billis wrote:

> Good quality storage (which usually comes at a price) will provide the
> functionality that is needed to backup the VM's either as a complete VM
> image or files from the VM filesystem. Entry level storage from suppliers
> such as Equallogic/Dell comes with this functionality and it is possible to
> have the storage up and attached to servers within 10 mins from un-boxing it
> (but do allow a little longer to understand it ;-) .)

Suggest reading this interesting piece "3 years of equallogic" before
thinking about using it's snapshot stuff -

http://www.tuxyturvy.com/blog/index.php?/archives/61-Three-Years-of-Equallogic.html

Of course not all snapshot solutions are created equal, equallogic's
appears to be especially poor in this regard.

nate