Old 02-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Rafał Radecki

Default Best way to backup virtual machines from Citrix XenServer.

Hi All.

I have installed Citrix XenServer. It's Linux-based virtualization software. Could anyone propose a good way to make backups of virtual machines (Linux/Windows) in it?

With regards,
R.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:31 PM
"Simon Billis"

Rafał Radecki sent a missive on*2010-02-05:

> Hi All.
>
> I have installed Citrix XenServer. It's Linux-based virtualization
> software. Could anyone propose a good way to make backups of virtual
> machines (Linux/Windows) in it?
>
> With regards,
> R.

Do you have any shared storage that you're using which supports snapshots?
If you do, then a combination of coalescing the running VM's to disk and
taking a snap and also using traditional backup methods (application aware)
to disk/tape for archival and complete failure of the storage is a
reasonable thing to do.

S.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 PM
"James A. Peltier"

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, nate wrote:

> Suggest reading this interesting piece "3 years of equallogic" before
> thinking about using it's snapshot stuff -
>
> http://www.tuxyturvy.com/blog/index.php?/archives/61-Three-Years-of-Equallogic.html

If you do snapshotting at the OS level, i.e. LVM snapshots or ZFS
snapshots than EQ is a pretty nice piece of equipment, otherwise, don't
even get me started.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director

Not only do we as individuals get locked into single-minded views, but we
reinforce these views for each other until the culture itself suffers the
same mindlessness.
- Ellen Langer