Old 02-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Robert Spangler

Default pls help about changing network card but assign to another ethx

On Thursday 04 February 2010 14:21, adrian kok wrote:

> Hi
>
> I change eth1 from realtek to dlink but the centos is showing eth2 instead
> of eth1

Edit your ifcfg-eth1 and add the MAC Address of the card.
I would do this for every interface.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux User #296285
http://counter.li.org

Old 02-05-2010, 10:35 AM
linux-crazy

Hi,

Thoght of sharing this with u will be handy

I was upgrading my workstation yesterday, only the case and harddisks
remained the same. Almost everything went well, even new init ramdisk
wasn't required, but I was stuck on networking for a while. And the
problem was called "eth0_rename". After querying google it was clear
that this is the result of "network device persistency" feature and
the cause is different MAC address assigned to the new eth0 device.
Solution was easy - remove the old records from
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

And add some custom udev mac binding rules like below

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-redhat-custom-net.rules
##Realtek
KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="00:16:3e:66:20:c7", NAME="eth0"
###Accton
KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="00:16:3e:7e:a1:9c", NAME="eth1"

http://www.gscore.org/blog/index.php/post/2008/12/16/udev-hell

Thanks