-   -   Configuration Management Redux (was: best parallel / cluster SSH) (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/320836-configuration-management-redux-best-parallel-cluster-ssh.html)

Alan McKay 02-04-2010 06:28 PM

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> But, if someone ever gets cross-platform config management right or at
> least close enough that it is worth learning yet another description
> language I'd be very interested. *Cfengine v3 might be getting there but
> the windows version seems to be only available in the commercial build.

OK, this is the perfect sequay for me :-)

Assuming you only want Linux, and at that CentOS Linux - which are
both the case for me - what Config Management system would you use?
What is out there?

A few months ago I sort of had a similar thread going and got the following :

Slackmaster - looks like this is from google

chef - have not looked it up yet

puppet - got a test bed going and just bought the book because have
not found much on line in terms of complex configs and how to actually
use it to manage your environments

bcfg2 - have not looked for it yet

CF Engine - am vaguely familiar with it.

thanks,
-Alan

Kwan Lowe 02-04-2010 07:44 PM

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But, if someone ever gets cross-platform config management right or at
>> least close enough that it is worth learning yet another description
>> language I'd be very interested. *Cfengine v3 might be getting there but
>> the windows version seems to be only available in the commercial build.
>
> OK, this is the perfect sequay for me :-)
>
> Assuming you only want Linux, and at that CentOS Linux - which are
> both the case for me - what Config Management system would you use?
> What is out there?

I'm using a mix of puppet, CVS, tentakel and a mix of custom scripts
to manage about 30 instances in my environment. In brief:

LDAP with 389Project (RedHat DS) for authentication
CVS on the cental admin server to maintain puppet configurations,
kickstarts, etc..
Puppet and custom scripts to generate and to push configurations
Nagios to monitor and alert
Central config server running Samba, vsftpd, dhcpd, etc to rapidly
deploy an instance

I made a decision to manage all configurations at the central admin
server (CAS) which is backed up and redundant. This means that if a
node goes down, I can redeploy it within a matter of minutes with an
identical configuration. For example, when my DNS server went down
because of hardware, all I did was recreate a VMware partition, point
it to a kickstart, then wait. After it was completed the newly built
system checked in to the CAS, pulled down its configuration, then
started serving DNS requests again.

James Hogarth 02-04-2010 07:46 PM

Configuration Management Redux (was: best parallel / cluster SSH)

For pure RHEL/Centos/Fedora environments (especially centos/rhel) I
can recommend Spacewalk for any reasonable number of systems (20+) for
the combination of package management, configuration management and
kickstart management...

James

James Hogarth 02-05-2010 10:01 AM

On 4 February 2010 21:48, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> For pure RHEL/Centos/Fedora environments (especially centos/rhel) I
>> can recommend Spacewalk for any reasonable number of systems (20+) for
>> the combination of package management, configuration management and
>> kickstart management...
>>
> Has it improved significantly since the end of this past April? It took me
> a month to get it installed and correctly working. And I dunno if they
> ever put my additional fix in their documentation, that being to increase
> Oracle's two memory parameters to within 6M of the max 1G for Oracle XP.
>
> It was *definitely* not ready for production, IMO.
>
> * * * * *mark

There has been substantial development since last April. 0.7 is very
usable in production (and indeed makes my life much easier) and 0.8 is
due soon.

James

Laurent Wandrebeck 02-05-2010 12:18 PM

2010/2/5 James Hogarth <james.hogarth@gmail.com>:

> There has been substantial development since last April. 0.7 is very
> usable in production (and indeed makes my life much easier) and 0.8 is
> due soon.
>
> James
Do you use PostgreSQL or Oracle as backend ? It seems Postgresql
support is a bit far from being production ready, according to their
wiki.
Laurent.

James Hogarth 02-05-2010 01:06 PM

On 5 February 2010 13:18, Laurent Wandrebeck <l.wandrebeck@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/2/5 James Hogarth <james.hogarth@gmail.com>:
>>
>> There has been substantial development since last April. 0.7 is very
>> usable in production (and indeed makes my life much easier) and 0.8 is
>> due soon.
>>
>> James
> Do you use PostgreSQL or Oracle as backend ? It seems Postgresql
> support is a bit far from being production ready, according to their
> wiki.
> Laurent.

Oracle - postgresql work is still ongoing and not yet production ready
by a long way...

Alan McKay 02-05-2010 02:35 PM

Configuration Management Redux (was: best parallel / cluster SSH)

> Oracle - postgresql work is still ongoing and not yet production ready
> by a long way...

that would eliminate it for me