FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
James Laska
 
Default Appropriate test priority for telnet and cmdline installs

Greetings,

The Fedora QA team has been adjusting our install test priorities for
Fedora 13 to line up with the revised Fedora release criteria [1]. For
a description of how the test priorities are used, see the test plan
[2]. Hurry (rhe) and Liam (lili) have been doing most of the heavy
lifting to reevaluate test priority. There are a few remaining tests
where the priority is unclear and we could use guidance on.

The tests include ...

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_serial_console

My sense is that QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_serial_console is
fairly important and should be a Alpha test priority. Mostly that our
test automation relies on this behavior, but I suspect so does the virt
team where a graphical console isn't a guarantee.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_Cmdline

As I understand it, the cmdline case is important for platforms that
don't support newt console output (e.g. s390x). However, it's been
leveraged heavily by test automation as it makes for easier to follow
test logs. This is a lightweight test for us to continue with, so I'd
be comfortable assigning this a priority of Beta. Thoughts/concerns?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_Telnet

If you can setup networking to support a telnet install, I assume you
could also use VNC. Do we still want to target environments that do not
have a VGA on either the installing system, or the remote system? My
preference would be to stop honoring the 'telnet' boot argument,
otherwise I feel obligated to ensure it works. How do others feel?

Thanks,
James

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Criteria
[2]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_13_Install_Test_Plan#Test_Priority
_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Chris Lumens
 
Default Appropriate test priority for telnet and cmdline installs

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_serial_console
>
> My sense is that QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_serial_console is
> fairly important and should be a Alpha test priority. Mostly that our
> test automation relies on this behavior, but I suspect so does the virt
> team where a graphical console isn't a guarantee.

Right, serial console installs are mainly used by you guys for testing,
virt installs, and big lab machines. We almost never do one ourselves,
so an alpha test priority probably makes sense here.

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_Cmdline
>
> As I understand it, the cmdline case is important for platforms that
> don't support newt console output (e.g. s390x). However, it's been
> leveraged heavily by test automation as it makes for easier to follow
> test logs. This is a lightweight test for us to continue with, so I'd
> be comfortable assigning this a priority of Beta. Thoughts/concerns?

Agreed as to the users. I'm curious why you give this a different
priority from serial console, though. It feels like serial and cmdline
have the same set of use cases and should be tested at the same level.

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_Telnet
>
> If you can setup networking to support a telnet install, I assume you
> could also use VNC. Do we still want to target environments that do not
> have a VGA on either the installing system, or the remote system? My
> preference would be to stop honoring the 'telnet' boot argument,
> otherwise I feel obligated to ensure it works. How do others feel?

We still have telnet support for installs, but we've been trying to push
people towards using ssh for that instead. I don't think we can get
away with throwing away the option yet.

- Chris

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 02-09-2010, 01:55 AM
David Cantrell
 
Default Appropriate test priority for telnet and cmdline installs

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Chris Lumens wrote:


https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_Cmdline

As I understand it, the cmdline case is important for platforms that
don't support newt console output (e.g. s390x). However, it's been
leveraged heavily by test automation as it makes for easier to follow
test logs. This is a lightweight test for us to continue with, so I'd
be comfortable assigning this a priority of Beta. Thoughts/concerns?


Agreed as to the users. I'm curious why you give this a different
priority from serial console, though. It feels like serial and cmdline
have the same set of use cases and should be tested at the same level.


Serial console installs can still be interactive, whereas the cmdline mode
requires a kickstart file and is really just a progress indicator (right?).
Despite being named cmdline mode, I'm pretty sure it's not at all interactive.

- --
David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com>

Red Hat / Honolulu, HI

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAktwzqsACgkQ5hsjjIy1VkmvPQCgt14igl6bcu Ma/aEtenu/N5l9
nLQAnRat0okzRT80/glPwUntdlNvc63N
=fJwg
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 02-09-2010, 03:17 PM
James Laska
 
Default Appropriate test priority for telnet and cmdline installs

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 16:55 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Chris Lumens wrote:
>
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_Cmdline
> >>
> >> As I understand it, the cmdline case is important for platforms that
> >> don't support newt console output (e.g. s390x). However, it's been
> >> leveraged heavily by test automation as it makes for easier to follow
> >> test logs. This is a lightweight test for us to continue with, so I'd
> >> be comfortable assigning this a priority of Beta. Thoughts/concerns?
> >
> > Agreed as to the users. I'm curious why you give this a different
> > priority from serial console, though. It feels like serial and cmdline
> > have the same set of use cases and should be tested at the same level.
>
> Serial console installs can still be interactive, whereas the cmdline mode
> requires a kickstart file and is really just a progress indicator (right?).
> Despite being named cmdline mode, I'm pretty sure it's not at all interactive.

That's my understanding. David, you probably know better than me, but
since prompting on a 3270 console isn't an option, all cmdline installs
should not be interactive.

Thanks,
James
_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org