FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 03:48 PM, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> I need to install Windows as guest on my CentOS 5 as host . Can you
> please give me the link to download the requierd rpm package for this
> purpose ?
> Thank you

yum install kvm

Then search for virtio drivers. Redhat provides virtio block drivers for
Windows Vista, 7, 2008.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-04-2010, 07:04 AM
John R Pierce
 
Default Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Thursday, February 04, 2010 03:48 PM, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>
>> Dear All
>> I need to install Windows as guest on my CentOS 5 as host . Can you
>> please give me the link to download the requierd rpm package for this
>> purpose ?
>> Thank you
>>
>
> yum install kvm
>
> Then search for virtio drivers. Redhat provides virtio block drivers for
> Windows Vista, 7, 2008.
>

I may be mistaken, but I thought those were only available to RHN
subscribers, and are not open source or free to redistribute.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 04:04 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 04, 2010 03:48 PM, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All
>>> I need to install Windows as guest on my CentOS 5 as host . Can you
>>> please give me the link to download the requierd rpm package for this
>>> purpose ?
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>
>> yum install kvm
>>
>> Then search for virtio drivers. Redhat provides virtio block drivers for
>> Windows Vista, 7, 2008.
>>
>
> I may be mistaken, but I thought those were only available to RHN
> subscribers, and are not open source or free to redistribute.
>

The virtio block drivers? Really? I think I remember something about it
being leaked...need to check
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 04:14 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Thursday, February 04, 2010 04:04 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> On Thursday, February 04, 2010 03:48 PM, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>>>
>>>> Dear All
>>>> I need to install Windows as guest on my CentOS 5 as host . Can you
>>>> please give me the link to download the requierd rpm package for this
>>>> purpose ?
>>>> Thank you
>>>>
>>>
>>> yum install kvm
>>>
>>> Then search for virtio drivers. Redhat provides virtio block drivers for
>>> Windows Vista, 7, 2008.
>>>
>>
>> I may be mistaken, but I thought those were only available to RHN
>> subscribers, and are not open source or free to redistribute.
>>
>
> The virtio block drivers? Really? I think I remember something about it
> being leaked...need to check

Nope

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 AM
John R Pierce
 
Default Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

>>> I may be mistaken, but I thought those were only available to RHN
>>> subscribers, and are not open source or free to redistribute.
>>>
>>>
>> The virtio block drivers? Really? I think I remember something about it
>> being leaked...need to check
>>
>
> Nope
>
> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers
>

ah, good. that was a big gap a year or so ago when I was investigating
free virtualization for Windows



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Ned Slider
 
Default Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

John R Pierce wrote:
>>>> I may be mistaken, but I thought those were only available to RHN
>>>> subscribers, and are not open source or free to redistribute.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> The virtio block drivers? Really? I think I remember something about it
>>> being leaked...need to check
>>>
>> Nope
>>
>> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers
>>
>
> ah, good. that was a big gap a year or so ago when I was investigating
> free virtualization for Windows
>

I might be wrong, but I don't think the freely available drivers are
signed, unlike the virtio drivers supplied by Red Hat through the
Supplementary channel which are signed.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Sergej Kandyla
 
Default Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Thursday, February 04, 2010 03:48 PM, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>
>> Dear All
>> I need to install Windows as guest on my CentOS 5 as host . Can you
>> please give me the link to download the requierd rpm package for this
>> purpose ?
>> Thank you
>>
>
> yum install kvm
>
> Then search for virtio drivers. Redhat provides virtio block drivers for
> Windows Vista, 7, 2008.
>
What benefits may provide me the virtio drivers ?
Also what suggestions do you have about running win2k3, win2k8 server
as a guests on CentOS5 kvm host ?
I'm interesting about disk organization for guest OS at first.

Thx!

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher
 
Default Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

Sergej Kandyla wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 04, 2010 03:48 PM, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All
>>> I need to install Windows as guest on my CentOS 5 as host . Can you
>>> please give me the link to download the requierd rpm package for this
>>> purpose ?
>>> Thank you
>>>
>> yum install kvm
>>
>> Then search for virtio drivers. Redhat provides virtio block drivers for
>> Windows Vista, 7, 2008.
>>
> What benefits may provide me the virtio drivers ?

They make use of the paravirtualized virtio framework which is orders of
magnitude faster than fully virtualized i/o.


> Also what suggestions do you have about running win2k3, win2k8 server
> as a guests on CentOS5 kvm host ?

Well, somebody said use AMD cpus because they are more stable but I have
never managed to get that validated.


> I'm interesting about disk organization for guest OS at first.


If you need performance, you need paravirtualized i/o. With a kvm
solution, that means going through virtio. I think Xen has its own
solution to this and other than this, I know nothing about vmware and
virtualbox on this score.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Ned Slider
 
Default Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 12:36 +0000, Ned Slider wrote:
>> I might be wrong, but I don't think the freely available drivers are
>> signed, unlike the virtio drivers supplied by Red Hat through the
>> Supplementary channel which are signed.
>
> The download page that was just posted here says:
>
> QUOTE:
> Code signing drivers for the Windows 64bit platforms
> Drivers should be signed for Windows 64bit platforms.
> Here are some links how to self sign and install self signed drivers:
> END OF QUOTE
>
> so I guess you can do that part yourself.

Yes, you can sign the drivers yourself, but the issue as I understand it
is that for the drivers to work with Windows (Vista, Server 2008, Win7
??), they need to be signed by a cert that has a chain of trust to
Microsoft's root cert. Red Hat (and others) have such a cert and have
appropriately signed drivers for their customers. I /believe/ the
drivers are redistributable, but they are not signed.

Disclosure: I am not a Windows expert!


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
John R Pierce
 
Default Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

Ned Slider wrote:
> Yes, you can sign the drivers yourself, but the issue as I understand it
> is that for the drivers to work with Windows (Vista, Server 2008, Win7
> ??), they need to be signed by a cert that has a chain of trust to
> Microsoft's root cert. Red Hat (and others) have such a cert and have
> appropriately signed drivers for their customers. I /believe/ the
> drivers are redistributable, but they are not signed.
>

the selfsign procedure involves creating your own selfsigned cert, and
registering it with the system, then it will accept drivers signed by
that cert. this process is intended for driver developers to be able
to test their work in progress.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:41 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org