-   -   how to find out promiscuous mode (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/320282-how-find-out-promiscuous-mode.html)

Vadkan Jozsef 02-03-2010 09:10 PM

how to find out promiscuous mode

How can I find out that someone is using it's network card in
promiscuous mode in a subnet?

Thank you!

Sam Sharpe 02-03-2010 09:18 PM

http://tinyurl.com/yk3tox4

Bill Campbell 02-03-2010 09:28 PM

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010, Vadkan Jozsef wrote:
>How can I find out that someone is using it's network card in
>promiscuous mode in a subnet?

We use the swatch log watcher, to detect lines like this in
/var/log/messages (this is from a system running VMware virtual
machines in bridging mode so this is normal):

Jan 28 17:35:57 pogo kernel: device eth1 entered promiscuous mode

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Our Foreign dealings are an Open Book, generally a Check Book.
Will Rogers

"Les Bell" 02-03-2010 09:45 PM

how to find out promiscuous mode

Vadkan Jozsef <jozsi.avadkan@gmail.com> wrote:

How can I find out that someone is using it's network card in
promiscuous mode in a subnet?
<<

http://sourceforge.net/projects/prodetect/

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144

"Les Bell" 02-03-2010 09:53 PM

"Les Bell" <lesbell@lesbell.com.au> wrote:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/prodetect/
<<

Sorry - just remembered that's a Windows program. The classic tool for
monitoring IP/Ethernet address pairings is arpwatch, but unlike prodetect,
it will only report an ARP cache poisoning attack, not someone silently
sniffing (which isn't much use on switched networks anyway).

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144

Chris Bannister 02-03-2010 10:49 PM

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 11:10:44PM +0100, Vadkan Jozsef wrote:
> How can I find out that someone is using it's network card in
> promiscuous mode in a subnet?
>
> Thank you!

This question is off topic on debian-user. Try a network related mailing
list or forum.

--
Chris.

Celejar 02-04-2010 01:01 AM

how to find out promiscuous mode

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:10:44 +0100
Vadkan Jozsef <jozsi.avadkan@gmail.com> wrote:

> How can I find out that someone is using it's network card in
> promiscuous mode in a subnet?

In principle, this shouldn't be possible, since sniffing is a purely
passive activity. There are various sites that claim the existence of
tools that can somehow do this, although the techniques are not
explained, and the sites are old with broken links:

http://www.securiteam.com/unixfocus/2EUQ8QAQME.html
http://www.grc.com/oo/packetsniff.htm

Celejar

Gilboa Davara 02-04-2010 06:06 AM

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 23:11 +0100, Vadkan Jozsef wrote:
> How can I find out that someone is using it's network card in
> promiscuous mode in a subnet?
>
> Thank you!

You can't.
... and even if you could, someone could potentially use a passive
splitter and yank all the packets of the subnet.

Having said all that, if your network is switched (as opposed to using
cheap FE hubs), only broadcast traffic (ARP/DHCP/etc) will be visible in
promisc mode.

- Gilboa