Old 02-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Matthew Miller

Default Logrotate in CentOS 5.4 more brutal (to httpd at least) than in 5.3?

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:47:40AM +0100, Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> 5.4 does a "kill -HUP" which is what "service httpd reload" does too. The -HUP
> signal causes http to re-read stuff rather than shutting down.
> Still, I don't really understand why 5.4 doesn't use "service reload" which
> seems more "correct" (and the init.d script does a little bit of checking
> before the kill -HUP too).

That said, *both* of them are too brutal, in that they'll kill any open
connections. Signal USR1 (or service httpd graceful) is much nicer, since it
lets any open connections complete. The downside is that these old
connections might get written to the _rotated_ log instead of the new one,
but to me that's a small price to pay.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>