Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default cannot mount NFS share, portmap problems, what todo?

Hi all,*
I want to map an NFS share from a remote server to a local CentOS 5.4 server, but have a problem with portmap:
root@mercury:[~]$ service portmap restartpmap_getmaps rpc problem: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection reset by peer

Stopping portmap: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[FAILED]Starting portmap: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[ *OK *]root@mercury:[~]$ service portmap statusportmap dead but subsys locked

root@mercury:[~]$

What is "subsys", and how do I "unlock it"?

/var/log/messages gives me this:

Feb *3 13:44:23 mercury portmap[2221]: cannot bind udp: Address already in use

Which address is it referring to? Portmap isn't running so I don't see how it can be in use. Or should I be looking for the problem elsewhere?*

Google search results sugested opening port 111 in the firewall, which I have, but still get the error. And I cannot, at any costs, reboot this server. So, is there a way to fix this?--
Kind Regards

Rudi Ahlers
SoftDux

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
"Geoff Galitz"

*

*

> /var/log/messages gives me this:

> Feb *3 13:44:23 mercury portmap[2221]:
cannot bind udp: Address already in use

*

*

The first thing I would
do is to see if there is something running on the portmap port:

*

# netstat -ap --inet

*

Check for sunrpc (which
is the service name associated with the portmapper, as listed in
/etc/services).

*

*

---------------------------------

Geoff Galitz

Blankenheim NRW, Germany

http://www.galitz.org/

http://german-way.com/blog/

Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/3 Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com>:
> Hi all,
> I want to map an NFS share from a remote server to a local CentOS 5.4
> server, but have a problem with portmap:
> root@mercury:[~]$ service portmap restart
> pmap_getmaps rpc problem: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection reset
> by peer
> Stopping portmap: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[FAILED]
> Starting portmap: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[ *OK *]
> root@mercury:[~]$ service portmap status
> portmap dead but subsys locked
> root@mercury:[~]$
>
> What is "subsys", and how do I "unlock it"?
>

> /var/log/messages gives me this:
> Feb *3 13:44:23 mercury portmap[2221]: cannot bind udp: Address already in
> use
>
> Which address is it referring to? Portmap isn't running so I don't see how
> it can be in use. Or should I be looking for the problem elsewhere?
> Google search results sugested opening port 111 in the firewall, which I
> have, but still get the error. And I cannot, at any costs, reboot this
> server. So, is there a way to fix this?

Check if there is lock file for portmap under /var/run and remove it
and try again.

Use also netstat -lp --ip to check if portmap is already running.

--
Eero

Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Geoff Galitz <geoff@galitz.org> wrote:

*

*

The first thing I would
do is to see if there is something running on the portmap port:

*

# netstat -ap --inet

*

Check for sunrpc (which
is the service name associated with the portmapper, as listed in
/etc/services).

*

*

---------------------------------

Geoff Galitz

Blankenheim NRW, Germany

http://www.galitz.org/

http://german-way.com/blog/

Thanx Geoff
Should it be running, or not?

root@mercury:[~]$ netstat -ap --inet | grep rpc

tcp * * * *0 * * *0 *:sunrpc * * * * * * * * * **:* * * * * * * * * * * * * LISTEN * * *6458/portsentryudp * * * *0 * * *0 localhost:filenet-rpc * * * localhost:filenet-rpc * * * ESTABLISHED 1980/postmaster

*

Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 AM
"Geoff Galitz"

*

> Should it be running, or not?

*

*

>root@mercury:[~]$ netstat -ap --inet | grep rpc

>tcp * * * *0 * *
*0 *:sunrpc * * * * * * * * *
**:* * * * * * * * * * *
* * LISTEN * * *6458/portsentry

>udp * * * *0 * *
*0 localhost:filenet-rpc * * * localhost:filenet-rpc *
* * ESTABLISHED 1980/postmaster

*

*

It looks like you need to
deconfigure portsentry from listening on that port and then you should be good
to go.* IOW, portsentry is ok to run, but not on your portmapper port when you
need to run portmapper.

*

-geoff

*