Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Jussi Hirvi

Default Changing size of a xen guest filesystem

It should be easy, but I have not yet found a solution. Only some
methods involving use of dd, but that sounds a little scary to me on a
production server.

I wish there would be a command "virt-resize", but no... Maybe
"virt-clone", with the option --file=DISKFILE, could be bended to do this?

- Jussi Hirvi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland

The point is that what each one of us does from the time we wake until
the time we sleep makes a difference.
- Jane Goodall

Old 02-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:26:13PM +0200, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
> It should be easy, but I have not yet found a solution. Only some
> methods involving use of dd, but that sounds a little scary to me on a
> production server.
>
> I wish there would be a command "virt-resize", but no... Maybe
> "virt-clone", with the option --file=DISKFILE, could be bended to do this?

If you're using LVM volumes to store guest disks, then you can do
"lvextend" in the host.

And then do necessary steps in the guest, to resize the partitions/filesystems.

-- Pasi

Old 02-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Jussi Hirvi

On 3.2.2010 19:54, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:26:13PM +0200, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
>> It should be easy, but I have not yet found a solution. Only some
>> methods involving use of dd, but that sounds a little scary to me
>> on a production server.
>>
>> I wish there would be a command "virt-resize", but no... Maybe
>> "virt-clone", with the option --file=DISKFILE, could be bended to
>> do this?
>
> If you're using LVM volumes to store guest disks, then you can do
> "lvextend" in the host.

Nope, I use disk images (sparse).

> And then do necessary steps in the guest, to resize the
> partitions/filesystems.

Ok, looks like this can not be done all in one step.

- Jussi

Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Jussi Hirvi

On 3.2.2010 19:54, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:26:13PM +0200, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
>> It should be easy, but I have not yet found a solution. Only some
>> methods involving use of dd, but that sounds a little scary to me
>> on a production server.
>>
>> I wish there would be a command "virt-resize", but no... Maybe
>> "virt-clone", with the option --file=DISKFILE, could be bended to
>> do this?
>
> If you're using LVM volumes to store guest disks, then you can do
> "lvextend" in the host.

Nope, I use disk images (sparse).

> And then do necessary steps in the guest, to resize the
> partitions/filesystems.

Ok, looks like this can not be done all in one step.

- Jussi

"Remember that if you can't understand an answer, it's okay, we'll just
keep going forward as if you do."
-- Peter Gulutzan, "MySQL 5.0 Stored Procedures"

Old 02-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 12:52:43PM +0200, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
> On 3.2.2010 19:54, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:26:13PM +0200, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
> >> It should be easy, but I have not yet found a solution. Only some
> >> methods involving use of dd, but that sounds a little scary to me
> >> on a production server.
> >>
> >> I wish there would be a command "virt-resize", but no... Maybe
> >> "virt-clone", with the option --file=DISKFILE, could be bended to
> >> do this?
> >
> > If you're using LVM volumes to store guest disks, then you can do
> > "lvextend" in the host.
>
> Nope, I use disk images (sparse).
>
> > And then do necessary steps in the guest, to resize the
> > partitions/filesystems.
>
> Ok, looks like this can not be done all in one step.

It really depends how the image is used? Is it mapped as a partition,
and used as is? or is it partitioned in the guest?

Anyway, we're talking about the _raw_ disk image here.. you obviously need
to resize the (possible partitions and) filesystem in it aswell.

These partition/filesystem resizing steps can be made from dom0, or from the guest,
depending what you prefer.

-- Pasi