Old 02-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Niki Kovacs

Default Display a warning message at a certain time ?

Hi,

I'm currently installing a CentOS 5 desktop as a public internet access
point. The machine shuts down every day automatically at 22:30. Is there
a way I can display a message in GNOME at 22:15 warning the user that
the machine will shutdown in 15 minutes ?

Any suggestions ?

Niki Kovacs

Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 21:47 +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Is there
> a way I can display a message in GNOME at 22:15 warning the user that
> the machine will shutdown in 15 minutes ?

kalarm

Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 PM

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently installing a CentOS 5 desktop as a public internet access
> point. The machine shuts down every day automatically at 22:30. Is there
> a way I can display a message in GNOME at 22:15 warning the user that
> the machine will shutdown in 15 minutes ?
>
> Any suggestions ?

cron

mark

Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 14:57 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 21:47 +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> > Is there
> > a way I can display a message in GNOME at 22:15 warning the user that
> > the machine will shutdown in 15 minutes ?
>
> kalarm

On second thought, a bash file calling zenity in a cronjob will be
better. You can have zenity show any message you want in a window on
the desktop and the only option available in that window can be "ok".
kalarm would allow the user to change the alarm, and that's not what you
want.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Per Qvindesland

Hi

Not sure but I seem to remember the old write command it could to the
trick.

Regards
Per

Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/2/2010 3:03 PM, Per Qvindesland wrote:
> Hi
>
> Not sure but I seem to remember the old write command it could to the
> trick.

write or wall will work with open terminal windows - but shutdown offers
the option to send such a message itself with a grace period before the
actual shutdown. It gets trickier if you want to pop up a new window on
all open window managers.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmiksell@gmail.com

Old 02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
"Geoff Galitz"

xmessage is another option. I use it from time to time. It would need
minimal dependencies if that is a consideration.

-geoff

Geoff Galitz
Blankenheim NRW, Germany
http://www.galitz.org/