-   -   dm-crypt/LUKS the state of the art for block device encryption? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/319354-dm-crypt-luks-state-art-block-device-encryption.html)

Joshua Baker-LePain 02-02-2010 04:21 PM

dm-crypt/LUKS the state of the art for block device encryption?

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 at 12:00pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote

> it's been a while since i've played with filesystem encryption so,
> on centos 5.4 (and other linux distros), is dm-crypt/LUKS considered
> to be the state of the art WRT encryption? i remember other solutions
> like loop-aes and others, but what's considered the gold standard
> these days?

dm-crypt/LUKS is what the installer in Fedora sets up these days, so I'd
say it's still the "standard" solution.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

"Robert P. J. Day" 02-02-2010 04:23 PM

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 at 12:00pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote
>
> > it's been a while since i've played with filesystem encryption
> > so, on centos 5.4 (and other linux distros), is dm-crypt/LUKS
> > considered to be the state of the art WRT encryption? i remember
> > other solutions like loop-aes and others, but what's considered
> > the gold standard these days?
>
> dm-crypt/LUKS is what the installer in Fedora sets up these days, so
> I'd say it's still the "standard" solution.

i suspected so, i just thought i'd confirm. thanks.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday