-   -   Virtualization - what do You recommend? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/319145-virtualization-what-do-you-recommend.html)

Rafał Radecki 02-02-2010 10:19 AM

Virtualization - what do You recommend?

Hi All.

I plan to use virtualization in my production environment. I plan to use one of the following options:
- KVM;
- VMWare Esxi;
- VMWare Workstation.

I plan to install Windows 2008 as a guest. I want to use something like LVM snapshots for backups. Stability is also very important, the guest will be used as a production server.

Which option could You recommend and why?

Thank You very much in advance :)

With regards,
R.

Tomasz Suchodolski 02-02-2010 10:39 AM

Virtualization - what do You recommend?

W dniu 2 lutego 2010 12:19 użytkownik Rafał Radecki
<radecki.rafal@gmail.com> napisał:
> Hi All.
>
> I plan to use virtualization in my production environment. I plan to use one
> of the following options:
> - KVM;
> - VMWare Esxi;
> - VMWare Workstation.
>
> I plan to install Windows 2008 as a guest. I want to use something like LVM
> snapshots for backups. Stability is also very important, the guest will be
> used as a production server.
> Which option could You recommend and why?
>
> Thank You very much in advance :)
>
> With regards,
> R.

Na jakie listy dyskusyjne oprócz CentOS'a i Debiana wysyłasz zapytania ?

Victor Padro 02-02-2010 11:02 AM

2010/2/2 Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com>:
> Hi All.
>
> I plan to use virtualization in my production environment. I plan to use one
> of the following options:
> - KVM;
> - VMWare Esxi;
> - VMWare Workstation.
>
> I plan to install Windows 2008 as a guest. I want to use something like LVM
> snapshots for backups. Stability is also very important, the guest will be
> used as a production server.
> Which option could You recommend and why?
>
> Thank You very much in advance :)
>
> With regards,
> R.

You can only install KVM or VMWare Workstation/Server in CentOS, I
think you should try KVM, because it's opensource and it supports
Windows but you need special hardware like the latest CPUs from AMD or
Intel...

--
Linux User #452368
http://twitter.com/vpadro

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
understanding of ourselves"

Victor Padro 02-02-2010 11:02 AM

Virtualization - what do You recommend?

2010/2/2 Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com>:
> Hi All.
>
> I plan to use virtualization in my production environment. I plan to use one
> of the following options:
> - KVM;
> - VMWare Esxi;
> - VMWare Workstation.
>
> I plan to install Windows 2008 as a guest. I want to use something like LVM
> snapshots for backups. Stability is also very important, the guest will be
> used as a production server.
> Which option could You recommend and why?
>
> Thank You very much in advance :)
>
> With regards,
> R.

You can only install KVM or VMWare Workstation/Server in Debian, I

Michal 02-02-2010 11:04 AM

On 02/02/2010 11:39, Tomasz Suchodolski wrote:
> W dniu 2 lutego 2010 12:19 użytkownik Rafał Radecki
> <radecki.rafal@gmail.com> napisał:
>> Hi All.
>>
>> I plan to use virtualization in my production environment. I plan to use one
>> of the following options:
>> - KVM;
>> - VMWare Esxi;
>> - VMWare Workstation.
>>
>> I plan to install Windows 2008 as a guest. I want to use something like LVM
>> snapshots for backups. Stability is also very important, the guest will be
>> used as a production server.
>> Which option could You recommend and why?
>>
>> Thank You very much in advance :)
>>
>> With regards,
>> R.
>>
> Na jakie listy dyskusyjne oprócz CentOS'a i Debiana wysyłasz zapytania ?

I really like ESXi and vSphere but if you only want one guest it will be
a waste of money. Are you looking for just 1 guest? You do realise you
will lose performance? I'm guessing you do. You can't do an LVM snapshot
with ESXi either, so i'd stick to virtual box or something like that

"Robert P. J. Day" 02-02-2010 11:05 AM

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Victor Padro wrote:

> You can only install KVM or VMWare Workstation/Server in CentOS, I
> think you should try KVM, because it's opensource and it supports
> Windows but you need special hardware like the latest CPUs from AMD
> or Intel...

just to clarify, you're saying that KVM requires H/W virtualization
support, either VT-x or AMD-V, yes? because at this point, i don't
think that really qualifies as "special hardware" anymore, it's pretty
common.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Lorenzo Quatrini 02-02-2010 11:09 AM

Rafał Radecki ha scritto:
> Hi All.
>
> I plan to use virtualization in my production environment. I plan to use
> one of the following options:
> - KVM;
> - VMWare Esxi;
> - VMWare Workstation.
>
> I plan to install Windows 2008 as a guest. I want to use something like
> LVM snapshots for backups. Stability is also very important, the guest
> will be used as a production server.
> Which option could You recommend and why?
>
> Thank You very much in advance :)
>
> With regards,
> R.

I know it is off topic on this list (and I really wish it was based on CentOS),
but I feel to recommend http://pve.proxmox.com/, because:
It's really easy and fast to setup
Supports KVM and OpenVz
Can be clustered (central management and expandability)
Supports LVM snapshots to backup KVM guest

I'm using on production, and for now I didn't had any trouble.
The main "missing" feature is software raid, which isn't recommended nor
supported for production, but can be achieved on test machines. But beware that
with KVM you will almost certainly need a good HW raid with bbu cache.
Also the development is very active and more functionalities are coming on each
version (shared storage via drbd, and many other, I think that the wiki can
cover this better)

HTH
Regards, Lorenzo

Mihamina Rakotomandimby 02-02-2010 11:13 AM

Virtualization - what do You recommend?

> Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com> :
> I plan to use virtualization in my production environment. I plan to
> use one of the following options:
> - KVM;

KVM.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Ray Van Dolson 02-02-2010 11:13 AM

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 07:05:59AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Victor Padro wrote:
>
> > You can only install KVM or VMWare Workstation/Server in CentOS, I
> > think you should try KVM, because it's opensource and it supports
> > Windows but you need special hardware like the latest CPUs from AMD
> > or Intel...
>
> just to clarify, you're saying that KVM requires H/W virtualization
> support, either VT-x or AMD-V, yes? because at this point, i don't
> think that really qualifies as "special hardware" anymore, it's pretty
> common.

Definitely common, but also "special" from the perspective that lots of
us still have plenty of older, yet serviceable hardware in our data
centers (I'm thinking Dell PE 2850's here for example) that don't
suport VT or AMD-V but still runs great for something like Xen.

Ray