Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 AM
John Doe

Default Internet access not working on CentOS but on Windows when travelling

From: Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier@argeo.org>
> I'm currently travelling (in south-eastern Europe) with a netbook
> (Samsung NC 10) running CentOS 5.4 i386.
> I frequently try to access internet from bars or hotels (mostly via wireless).
> Although it works pretty often, it happens quite regularly that in
> some hotels I cannot access internet from CentOS while it is possible
> from Windows.
> This is the case in the hotel where I am currently and I'd like to dig
> this further.

While you cannot access websites, did you test with their IPs instead?
Also try a traceroute.

JD

Old 02-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Kristopher Kane

Check your dns settings after the network comes up.*

Agreed.* Many hotels have a proxy that requires agreement to their TOS as a default first HTTP page.* You won't even be able to resolve names on the outside until this happens.* If you have a static DNS entry, you might not get the TOS page.*

-Kane

Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Mathieu Baudier

Many thanks for all the quick and helpful answers!

Indeed it seems to be related to the DNS.
On CentOS, after connecting to the wireless network, I hacked the
/etc/resolv.conf generated by the NetworkManager and added Google
Public DNS to it.

I could then access all websites via their domain names.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of other issues with this particular
network (disconnecting all the time, also on windows), so I was not in
a position to test a more stable configuration.