-   -   Internet access not working on CentOS but on Windows when travelling (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/319102-internet-access-not-working-centos-but-windows-when-travelling.html)

John Doe 02-02-2010 09:01 AM

Internet access not working on CentOS but on Windows when travelling

From: Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier@argeo.org>
> I'm currently travelling (in south-eastern Europe) with a netbook
> (Samsung NC 10) running CentOS 5.4 i386.
> I frequently try to access internet from bars or hotels (mostly via wireless).
> Although it works pretty often, it happens quite regularly that in
> some hotels I cannot access internet from CentOS while it is possible
> from Windows.
> This is the case in the hotel where I am currently and I'd like to dig
> this further.

While you cannot access websites, did you test with their IPs instead?
Also try a traceroute.

JD

Kristopher Kane 02-02-2010 01:22 PM

Internet access not working on CentOS but on Windows when travelling

Check your dns settings after the network comes up.*

Agreed.* Many hotels have a proxy that requires agreement to their TOS as a default first HTTP page.* You won't even be able to resolve names on the outside until this happens.* If you have a static DNS entry, you might not get the TOS page.*

-Kane

Mathieu Baudier 02-02-2010 09:25 PM

Internet access not working on CentOS but on Windows when travelling

Many thanks for all the quick and helpful answers!

Indeed it seems to be related to the DNS.
On CentOS, after connecting to the wireless network, I hacked the
/etc/resolv.conf generated by the NetworkManager and added Google
Public DNS to it.

I could then access all websites via their domain names.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of other issues with this particular
network (disconnecting all the time, also on windows), so I was not in
a position to test a more stable configuration.