Old 02-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Warren Michelsen

Default VNC Questions

Fresh install of CentOS 5.4 (and my first experience with CentOS).
Following install, the first thing I did was enable desktop sharing
so that I can control this new 1U box from my Mac workstation.

The VNC client sees this as "Warren's remote desktop" but I'd like it
to be more meaningful, as I have other remote desktops. Where in the
user settings/prefs do I change the way this VNC server identifies
itself? I'd like it to show the host name.

Since this installation will eventually go on line as a LAMP
Internet server, I'd like my VNC sessions to be encrypted. I saw no
place in the account settings for remote desktop to specify this.

Finally, I'd like VNC to be functional at boot, before I have logged
in, so that I can log in to my user account via VNC. Once configured,
this server will be located remotely. Can the VNC server be made to
run at loot, rather than at log-in of my account?

Can these things be done with the existing standard VNC server or do
I have to install something else via yum or some such?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 11:58 -0700, Warren Michelsen wrote:
> user settings/prefs do I change the way this VNC server identifies
> itself? I'd like it to show the host name.

> I'd like my VNC sessions to be encrypted.
> Finally, I'd like VNC to be functional at boot,?
>
> Can these things be done with the existing standard VNC server or do
> I have to install something else via yum or some such?

You can accomplish all of these things by following the instructions
here:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server

Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Bart Schaefer

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> You can accomplish all of these things by following the instructions
> here:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server

One thing that has bitten me when configuring the VNC server as
describe there, is that "service vncserver restart" invokes each
user's shell to start the server, in such a way that the shell
believes it is a login shell. Depending on the shell and the user's
configuration, this may cause interactive commands to be executed
which will hang or otherwise interfere with the restart.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/1/2010 1:27 PM, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 11:58 -0700, Warren Michelsen wrote:
>> user settings/prefs do I change the way this VNC server identifies
>> itself? I'd like it to show the host name.
>
>> I'd like my VNC sessions to be encrypted.
>> Finally, I'd like VNC to be functional at boot,?
>>
>> Can these things be done with the existing standard VNC server or do
>> I have to install something else via yum or some such?
>
> You can accomplish all of these things by following the instructions
> here:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server

You might also like to try freenx with the NX client(s) from
www.nomachine.com. It is better in a lot of ways, especially if you run
a separate session instead of trying to control the console session.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Warren Michelsen

At 1:27 PM -0600 2/1/10, Frank Cox sent email regarding Re: [CentOS]
VNC Questions:
>On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 11:58 -0700, Warren Michelsen wrote:
>> user settings/prefs do I change the way this VNC server identifies
>> itself? I'd like it to show the host name.
>
>> I'd like my VNC sessions to be encrypted.
>> Finally, I'd like VNC to be functional at boot,?
>>
>> Can these things be done with the existing standard VNC server or do
>> I have to install something else via yum or some such?
>
>You can accomplish all of these things by following the instructions
>here:
>
>http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server

I tried these instruction last week and each time I tried:

service vncserver start

I got the error that the command 'service' was not found.

I can try again, but I suspect this fresh re-install will act the same.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:48 PM

> At 1:27 PM -0600 2/1/10, Frank Cox sent email regarding Re: [CentOS]
> VNC Questions:
>>On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 11:58 -0700, Warren Michelsen wrote:
>>> user settings/prefs do I change the way this VNC server identifies
>>> itself? I'd like it to show the host name.
>>
>>> I'd like my VNC sessions to be encrypted.
>>> Finally, I'd like VNC to be functional at boot,?
>>>
>>> Can these things be done with the existing standard VNC server or do
>>> I have to install something else via yum or some such?
>>
>>You can accomplish all of these things by following the instructions
>>here:
>>
>>http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server
>
> I tried these instruction last week and each time I tried:
>
> service vncserver start
>
> I got the error that the command 'service' was not found.
>
> I can try again, but I suspect this fresh re-install will act the same.

You *did* do it as root, yes? If sudo, you might have to do /sbin/service...

mark

Old 02-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 12:41 -0700, Warren Michelsen wrote:

> I got the error that the command 'service' was not found.

The /sbin directory is not on the standard path for normal users.

Use this command:

/sbin/service vncserver start

Or use "su -" instead of "su" when switching to the root user and you
will get root's environment, which includes /sbin on the path.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Warren Michelsen

At 2:48 PM -0500 2/1/10, m.roth@5-cent.us sent email regarding Re:
[CentOS] VNC Questions:
> >>http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server
>>
>> I tried these instruction last week and each time I tried:
>>
>> service vncserver start
>>
>> I got the error that the command 'service' was not found.
>>
>> I can try again, but I suspect this fresh re-install will act the same.
>
>You *did* do it as root, yes? If sudo, you might have to do /sbin/service...

Yes. In fact, I just tried again (after su'ing to root). I tried to
create a new user using the 'useradd' command and was told the
command was not found. I was logged in via ssh at the time, does that
make a difference? It'd be strange if it did...

Last login: Mon Feb 1 12:42:53 2010 from 10.0.1.225
[warren@supermicro ~]$ su
Password:
[root@supermicro warren]# useradd mickey
bash: useradd: command not found
[root@supermicro warren]#

Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Warren Michelsen

At 1:53 PM -0600 2/1/10, Frank Cox sent email regarding Re: [CentOS]
VNC Questions:
>On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 12:41 -0700, Warren Michelsen wrote:
>>
>> I got the error that the command 'service' was not found.
>
>The /sbin directory is not on the standard path for normal users.
>
>Use this command:
>
>/sbin/service vncserver start
>
>Or use "su -" instead of "su" when switching to the root user and you
>will get root's environment, which includes /sbin on the path.

Ah! This is something I've not run across before. Using "su -" did the trick.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Warren Michelsen <Warren@mdcclxxvi.com> wrote:

>>Or use "su -" instead of "su" when switching to the root user and you
>>will get root's environment, which includes /sbin on the path.
>
> Ah! This is something I've not run across before. Using "su -" did the trick.

CentOS Wiki is (almost) always your good friend :-)

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BecomingRoot

Akemi