Old 02-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Georghy

Default kickstart installation from usb key

I'm trying to set up a custom installation of CentOS using kickstart
i tried many thing from how to's and tutorial web pages but nothing
worked ;(

Here is my USB key tree :
|-- CentOS
| |-- all my rpms
| `-- last rpm
|-- TRANS.TBL
|-- boot.cat
|-- boot.msg
|-- custom.iso
|-- general.msg
|-- images
| |-- README
| |-- TRANS.TBL
| |-- boot.iso
| |-- diskboot.img
| |-- minstg2.img
| |-- pxeboot
| | |-- README
| | |-- TRANS.TBL
| | |-- initrd.img
| | `-- vmlinuz
| |-- stage2.img
| `-- xen
| |-- TRANS.TBL
| |-- initrd.img
| `-- vmlinuz
|-- initrd.img
|-- ks
| |-- TRANS.TBL
| `-- ks.cfg
|-- ldlinux.sys
|-- memtest
|-- options.msg
|-- package-ipbx
| `-- packages for postinstall
|-- param.msg
|-- repodata
| |-- TRANS.TBL
| |-- comps.xml
| |-- filelists.xml.gz
| |-- other.xml.gz
| |-- primary.xml.gz
| `-- repomd.xml
|-- rescue.msg
|-- splash.lss
|-- syslinux.cfg
|-- syslinux.cfg~
`-- vmlinuz

I install syslinux on the USB key and also use the following command :

dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/mbr_sdb.bin bs=512 count=1

I tried to install CentOS from my USB key but it says :

Title : "Missing ISO 9660"
Content : "The installer has tried to mount image #1,but cannot find it
on the hard drive ... "

--
Greetings,
Georghy FUSCO

Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 AM
John Doe

From: Georghy <fusco@wanagain.net>
> I'm trying to set up a custom installation of CentOS using kickstart
> i tried many thing from how to's and tutorial web pages but nothing
> worked ;(
> I tried to install CentOS from my USB key but it says :
> Title : "Missing ISO 9660"
> Content : "The installer has tried to mount image #1,but cannot find it
> on the hard drive ... "

Tried http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey ?

JD

Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Georghy

From: Georghy <fusco@wanagain.net>

I'm trying to set up a custom installation of CentOS using kickstart
i tried many thing from how to's and tutorial web pages but nothing
worked ;(

I tried to install CentOS from my USB key but it says :
Title : "Missing ISO 9660"
Content : "The installer has tried to mount image #1,but cannot find it
on the hard drive ... "

Tried http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey ?

JD

yes but it doesn't work

what i have done :

creating a fat 32 partition on my USB key (4 GB)
tagging it with boot flag

copy MBR on the key :

dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/mbr_sdb.bin bs=512 count=1

Using syslinux :

syslinux /dev/sdb1

Here is my key tree :
|-- CentOS
| |-- all my rpms
| `-- last rpm
|-- TRANS.TBL
|-- boot.cat
|-- boot.msg
|-- custom.iso
|-- general.msg
|-- images
| |-- README
| |-- TRANS.TBL
| |-- boot.iso
| |-- diskboot.img
| |-- minstg2.img
| |-- pxeboot
| | |-- README
| | |-- TRANS.TBL
| | |-- initrd.img
| | `-- vmlinuz
| |-- stage2.img
| `-- xen
| |-- TRANS.TBL
| |-- initrd.img
| `-- vmlinuz
|-- initrd.img
|-- ks
| |-- TRANS.TBL
| `-- ks.cfg
|-- ldlinux.sys
|-- memtest
|-- options.msg
|-- package-ipbx
| `-- packages for postinstall
|-- param.msg
|-- repodata
| |-- TRANS.TBL
| |-- comps.xml
| |-- filelists.xml.gz
| |-- other.xml.gz
| |-- primary.xml.gz
| `-- repomd.xml
|-- rescue.msg
|-- splash.lss
|-- syslinux.cfg
|-- syslinux.cfg~
`-- vmlinuz

Attachment : ks.cfg and syslinux.cfg

Everithing is fine 'till anaconda start and try to copy rpm packages

Using kickstart configuration or manual (text) configuration show the
same error

--
Greetings,
Georghy FUSCO

###
### Kickstart configuration file
### for SIP distribution CDs
###

#--- Installation method (install, no upgrade) and source (CD-ROM)
ignoredisk --drives=sdb
text
install
harddrive --partition=sdb1 --dir=/

#--- Debugging (uncomment next line to debug in the interactive mode)
#interactive

#--- Language and input support
lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard fr

#--- X-Windows (use "skipx" directive to skip X-Windows configuration)
skipx

#--- Network
network --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp --hostname ipbx.wan
network --device eth1 --bootproto static --ip 10.120.1.2 --netmask 255.255.255.252 --gateway --hostname ipbx.wan
network --device eth2 --bootproto static --ip 10.20.1.1 --netmask 255.255.255.252 --gateway --hostname ipbx.wan

#--- Authentication and security
rootpw --iscrypted $1$hMUqAzjj$.zCg5V1UTTH9rrrbcbY081
firewall --disabled
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
selinux --enforcing

#--- Time zone
timezone --utc Europe/Paris

#--- Boot loader
bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda

#--- NON_RAID Disk partitioning (LVM)
zerombr
clearpart --all --initlabel
part /boot --fstype=ext3 --size=100
part swap --size=1024
part / --fstype=ext3 --size=1 --grow --asprimary

#--- Reboot the host after installation is done
#reboot

#--- Package selection
%packages
@base
@core
@dialup
@editors
@text-internet

#--- Pre-installation script
#%pre

#--- Post-installation script
%post
#!/bin/sh

# the script removes itself from the root .bashrc file when it completes

#...Install new splash image
#cp /recovery/linux/splash.xpm.gz /boot/grub
default linux
prompt 1
timeout 600
display boot.msg
F1 boot.msg
F2 options.msg
F3 general.msg
F4 param.msg
F5 rescue.msg
label linux
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img
label text
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img text
label ks
kernel vmlinuz
append ks initrd=initrd.img
label kickstart
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:sdb1:/ks/ks.cfg method=hd:sdb1:/
label local
localboot 1
label memtest86
kernel memtest
append -

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Georghy

John Doe a écrit :
> From: Georghy <fusco@wanagain.net>
>
>> I'm trying to set up a custom installation of CentOS using kickstart
>> i tried many thing from how to's and tutorial web pages but nothing
>> worked ;(
>> I tried to install CentOS from my USB key but it says :
>> Title : "Missing ISO 9660"
>> Content : "The installer has tried to mount image #1,but cannot find it
>> on the hard drive ... "
>>

> Tried http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey ?
>
> JD

PS: my usb stick is recognized as /dev/sdb, and the hard drive I wanted
to install CentOS is /dev/sda

--
Cordialement,
Georghy FUSCO

Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 PM
John Doe

From: Georghy <fusco@wanagain.net>
> what i have done :
> creating a fat 32 partition on my USB key (4 GB)
> tagging it with boot flag
> copy MBR on the key :
> dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/mbr_sdb.bin bs=512 count=1
> Using syslinux :
> syslinux /dev/sdb1

Your dd command seems to be reversed...
You are taking the MBR from the key and putting it into a file...
Instead of: dd if=/usr/share/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb
Anyway, from your error message, you seem to start to boot...
Did you modify your syslinux.cfg to have something like this?
append initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:sdb2:/ks/ks.cfg method=hd:sdb2:/where_my_centos_iso_files_are
Did you copy the CentOS ISO file(s) in /where_my_centos_iso_files_are/?

JD

Old 02-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Georghy

John Doe a écrit :
> From: Georghy <fusco@wanagain.net>
>
>> what i have done :
>> creating a fat 32 partition on my USB key (4 GB)
>> tagging it with boot flag
>> copy MBR on the key :
>> dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/mbr_sdb.bin bs=512 count=1
>> Using syslinux :
>> syslinux /dev/sdb1
>>

> Your dd command seems to be reversed...
> You are taking the MBR from the key and putting it into a file...
> Instead of: dd if=/usr/share/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb
> Anyway, from your error message, you seem to start to boot...
> Did you modify your syslinux.cfg to have something like this?
> append initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:sdb2:/ks/ks.cfg method=hd:sdb2:/where_my_centos_iso_files_are
> Did you copy the CentOS ISO file(s) in /where_my_centos_iso_files_are/?
>
> JD

I had to ks.cfg :
ignoredisk --drives=sdb
because we don't want anaconda to write mbr on the key

harddrive --partition=sdb1 --dir=iso
sdb1 as one FAT32 partition so it's sdb1 in the directory iso

bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda,sdb

on syslinux.cfg :

label kickstart
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:sdb1:/ks/ks.cfg method=hd:sdb1:/iso

--
Cordialement,
Georghy FUSCO

Old 02-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Georghy

John Doe a écrit :
> From: Georghy <fusco@wanagain.net>
>
>> what i have done :
>> creating a fat 32 partition on my USB key (4 GB)
>> tagging it with boot flag
>> copy MBR on the key :
>> dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/mbr_sdb.bin bs=512 count=1
>> Using syslinux :
>> syslinux /dev/sdb1
>>

> Your dd command seems to be reversed...
> You are taking the MBR from the key and putting it into a file...
> Instead of: dd if=/usr/share/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb
> Anyway, from your error message, you seem to start to boot...
> Did you modify your syslinux.cfg to have something like this?
> append initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:sdb2:/ks/ks.cfg method=hd:sdb2:/where_my_centos_iso_files_are
> Did you copy the CentOS ISO file(s) in /where_my_centos_iso_files_are/?
>
> JD

when i'm on the error page (Title : "Missing ISO 9660"
Content : "The installer has tried to mount image #1,but cannot find it
on the hard drive ... " )

I have 2 buttons if i try "retry" ones
i got some informations that maybe intresting :

No such file or directory 'sdb1:vfat/iso'

--
Cordialement,
Georghy FUSCO

Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM
John Doe

From: Georghy <fusco@wanagain.net>
> I had to ks.cfg :
> ignoredisk --drives=sdb
> because we don't want anaconda to write mbr on the key
>
> harddrive --partition=sdb1 --dir=iso
> sdb1 as one FAT32 partition so it's sdb1 in the directory iso
>
> bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda,sdb
>
> on syslinux.cfg :
>
> label kickstart
> kernel vmlinuz
> append initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:sdb1:/ks/ks.cfg method=hd:sdb1:/iso

If I understand correctly, you did not do 2 partitions like in the wiki...
Never tried with only one big Fat32 partition... so might not be able to help you.
I don't see the /iso directory in your tree, and again neither the CentOS iso files.

JD

Old 02-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Georghy

John Doe a écrit :
> From: Georghy <fusco@wanagain.net>
>
>> I had to ks.cfg :
>> ignoredisk --drives=sdb
>> because we don't want anaconda to write mbr on the key
>>
>> harddrive --partition=sdb1 --dir=iso
>> sdb1 as one FAT32 partition so it's sdb1 in the directory iso
>>
>> bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda,sdb
>>
>> on syslinux.cfg :
>>
>> label kickstart
>> kernel vmlinuz
>> append initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:sdb1:/ks/ks.cfg method=hd:sdb1:/iso
>>

> If I understand correctly, you did not do 2 partitions like in the wiki...
> Never tried with only one big Fat32 partition... so might not be able to help you.
> I don't see the /iso directory in your tree, and again neither the CentOS iso files.
>
> JD

I am trying to create 2 diffrent partition like in the wiki
the first one fat32 10Mio
the second one ext2 the rest

on the fat32 partition i only have syslinux.cfg
on the ext2 partition the following tree :

/media/disk-1
|-- CentOS
| `-- all my rpms
|-- TRANS.TBL
|-- boot.cat
|-- boot.msg
|-- general.msg
|-- images
| |-- README
| |-- TRANS.TBL
| |-- boot.iso
| |-- diskboot.img
| |-- minstg2.img
| |-- pxeboot [error opening dir]
| |-- stage2.img
| `-- xen [error opening dir]
|-- initrd.img
|-- iso
| `-- custom.iso
|-- ks
| |-- TRANS.TBL
| `-- ks.cfg
|-- ldlinux.sys
|-- lost+found
|-- memtest
|-- options.msg
|-- package-ipbx
| `-- post install packages
|-- param.msg
|-- repodata
| |-- TRANS.TBL
| |-- comps.xml
| |-- filelists.xml.gz
| |-- other.xml.gz
| |-- primary.xml.gz
| `-- repomd.xml
|-- rescue.msg
|-- splash.lss
|-- syslinux.cfg
`-- vmlinuz

My CentOS iso file is : custom.iso
It is a custom CentOS distro that i have made and it worked perfectly on
my Virtual Machine on virtual box

sorry for my Directory tree it wasn't up to date

Am I right ?

--
Greetings,
Georghy FUSCO

Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM
John Doe

From: Georghy <fusco@wanagain.net>
> >> harddrive --partition=sdb1 --dir=iso
> >> append initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:sdb1:/ks/ks.cfg method=hd:sdb1:/iso
> I am trying to create 2 diffrent partition like in the wiki
> the first one fat32 10Mio
> the second one ext2 the rest
> on the fat32 partition i only have syslinux.cfg
> on the ext2 partition the following tree :

I am confused...
If you have indeed a second partition where you did put your iso, you should point to sdb2 and not sdb1...
In my syslinux.cfg (which is on sda1):
append initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:sda2:/ks.cfg method=hd:sda2:/centos
In my kickstart:
harddrive --partition=sda2 --dir=/centos
So it boots on sda1, but the iso files and kickstart stuff are on sda2...

> My CentOS iso file is : custom.iso
> It is a custom CentOS distro that i have made and it worked perfectly on
> my Virtual Machine on virtual box

Does the iso work or the usb key? quite different...
How does the installer know that the RPMs are in custom.iso...?

> No such file or directory 'sdb1:vfat/iso'

vfat/iso?

JD