Old 02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Peter Kjellstrom

Default very large difference between df and du (10 GB, hard to believe )

On Monday 01 February 2010, Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Matt Iavarone <matt.iavarone@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > This is typical. *There were probably files deleted from the file
> > system that are still in use by a process. *Restarting the process
> > will release the files and df and du will jive.
>
> That argument only holds until you reach the point in the email where
>
> he said this:
> > I rebooted on the CentOS v4.8 CD #1, started "linux rescue" :

Indeed. At this point I'd start looking at things hiding under mount points.
But as the OP seems to have only one filesystem, /, then this will be limited
to mount-points for special filesystems (like sys, proc and /dev/shm).

What I'm getting at is that you could have, for example, a 10G file /proc/foo
on the actaul /-filesystem. As soon as proc is mounted on /proc this would be
invisible.

/Peter