Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Matt Iavarone

Default very large difference between df and du (10 GB, hard to believe)

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Robert Grasso
<robert.grasso+nv@cedrat.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a small server running a tool (RT : perl + mysql + apache) for our support team. I stripped down everything else. The OS is
> CentOS 4.8. I noticed a difference between df and du which is hard to believe :
>
> according to df, I am using 29 GB
>

> [root@cedrat-rt ~]$ df -h
> Filesystem * * * * * *Size *Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda1 * * * * * * *33G * 29G *2.8G *92% /
> none * * * * * * * * *506M * * 0 *506M * 0% /dev/shm
>
> (there are no other partitions - ok, I could have partitioned it a bit more)
>
> but according to
>
> du -kshxc /*
>
> my largest directory is /var (because of mysql) and the grand total is
>
> 19 GB
>
> I have a 10 GB difference between both outputs.
>
> I verified with
>
> tune2fs -l /dev/sda1
> (...)
> Block count: * * * * * * *8703205
> Reserved block count: * * 435160
>
> that is, the ordinary 5%
>
> the journal size :
>
> debugfs -R "stat <8>" /dev/sda1
>
> yields
>
> Size: 33554432 with a block size of 4096, this gives 128 MB
>
> I rebooted on the CentOS v4.8 CD #1, started "linux rescue" :
>
> mounting /dev/sda1, I get the same 29 GB used
>
> e2fsck reports a clean filesystem
>
> e2fsck -f does not reports further errors.
>
> Does anybody have a suggestion ?
>
> Best regards
> ---
> Robert GRASSO - System engineer

This is typical. There were probably files deleted from the file
system that are still in use by a process. Restarting the process
will release the files and df and du will jive.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Brian Mathis

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Matt Iavarone <matt.iavarone@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is typical. *There were probably files deleted from the file
> system that are still in use by a process. *Restarting the process
> will release the files and df and du will jive.

That argument only holds until you reach the point in the email where
he said this:
> I rebooted on the CentOS v4.8 CD #1, started "linux rescue" :

After the reboot that would be taken care of, so that's not the issue here.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Drew

> * *> I rebooted on the CentOS v4.8 CD #1, started "linux rescue" :
>
> After the reboot that would be taken care of, so that's not the issue here.

My understanding of the difference between df and du was that du
reports the actual size of the file while df reports the space
allocated by the filesystem.

So if a filesystem allocates 64KB per block and a file is only 2KB, du
will report 2KB and df will report 64KB.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Robert Heller

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Robert Grasso
> <robert.grasso+nv@cedrat.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a small server running a tool (RT : perl + mysql + apache) for our support team. I stripped down everything else. The OS is
> > CentOS 4.8. I noticed a difference between df and du which is hard to believe :
> >
> > according to df, I am using 29 GB
> >

> > [root@cedrat-rt ~]$ df -h
> > Filesystem * * * * * *Size *Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda1 * * * * * * *33G * 29G *2.8G *92% /
> > none * * * * * * * * *506M * * 0 *506M * 0% /dev/shm
> >
> > (there are no other partitions - ok, I could have partitioned it a bit more)
> >
> > but according to
> >
> > du -kshxc /*

This might be wrong -- are there any files starting with '.' under /?
What does 'du -kshxc /' display?

Are df and du *still* off after the reboot?

When you boot with the live CD is df and du *still* off? With the live
CD, what does a 'du -sh /mnt/<mumble>/{sys,proc,dev}' show (where
<mumble> is the mount point for you hard drive partition)? In other
words, do you have stuff under the various tmpfs/kernel mount points?

> > my largest directory is /var (because of mysql) and the grand total is
> >
> > 19 GB
> >
> > I have a 10 GB difference between both outputs.
> >
> > I verified with
> >
> > tune2fs -l /dev/sda1
> > (...)
> > Block count: * * * * * * *8703205
> > Reserved block count: * * 435160
> >
> > that is, the ordinary 5%
> >
> > the journal size :
> >
> > debugfs -R "stat <8>" /dev/sda1
> >
> > yields
> >
> > Size: 33554432 with a block size of 4096, this gives 128 MB
> >
> > I rebooted on the CentOS v4.8 CD #1, started "linux rescue" :
> >
> > mounting /dev/sda1, I get the same 29 GB used
> >
> > e2fsck reports a clean filesystem
> >
> > e2fsck -f does not reports further errors.
> >
> > Does anybody have a suggestion ?
> >
> > Best regards
> > ---
> > Robert GRASSO - System engineer

> This is typical. There were probably files deleted from the file
> system that are still in use by a process. Restarting the process
> will release the files and df and du will jive.

The OP rebooted with a live CD, which should have dealt with any
lingering processes :-)

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Matt Iavarone

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Matt Iavarone <matt.iavarone@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is typical. *There were probably files deleted from the file
>> system that are still in use by a process. *Restarting the process
>> will release the files and df and du will jive.
>>

> That argument only holds until you reach the point in the email where
> he said this:
> * *> I rebooted on the CentOS v4.8 CD #1, started "linux rescue" :
>
> After the reboot that would be taken care of, so that's not the issue here.

I guess I glossed over that part. It could be related to mysql (the
storage engine, metadata). du may not be able to parse that
information(?).