Old 02-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Niki Kovacs

Default CentOS as an internet kiosk : how to create a "fresh" user upon leaving GNOME ?

Hi,

I'm currently busy setting up a machine for use as an internet kiosk.
Here's what I aim to do.

- There's only one user on the system, 'invite'. One (very simple)
password. The machine is to be used publicly and freely.

- To ensure some privacy, there's one detail though. The best thing
would be that upon disconnection from the GNOME session, the user
'invite' gets wiped from the system (userdel -r) and then created anew,
with his password already set. This I can do.

- The tricky part is to do this upon disconnect. There's a function in
System > Preferences > Session, where I can choose programs to run upon
GNOME startup... but there's nothing similar for the disconnection.

- Writing a script disconnect.sh and then creating a desktop shortcut
for it would be to no avail, since 'userdel' and 'useradd' can only be
called as root.

Any idea how I could do this ? The idea is that every new user begins
with a clean slate.

Cheers,

Niki

Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Lorenzo Quatrini

Brian Mathis ha scritto:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
>
> You don't need to delete and re-add the user every time. That would
> be silly and as you see requires root privs.
>
> Since you already have the login script ability, change that script to
> delete the sensitive data you are talking about (just don't delete the
> login script). The last part of the script could be to un-tar a file
> with the clean profile information already in it.

Also, if you use gdm, you can put your script on /etc/gdm/PreSession.

I have a script on /etc/gdm/PostSession/:0 to make a backup on exit, but if
it's a kiosk you can't be sure that the session will be properly closed
(hitting ctrl-alt-backspace will bypass the PostSession script), so I guess
PreSession would be better.

HTH
Regards, Lorenzo

Old 02-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Niki Kovacs

Lorenzo Quatrini a écrit :

> Also, if you use gdm, you can put your script on /etc/gdm/PreSession.

That's what I did finally. Cleanest solution was to delete the user
along with his home directory, and then create him anew using a custom
profile in /etc/skel.

Cheers,

Niki