Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 AM
"MOKRANI Rachid"

Default monitoring a workstation

Hi,
*
I need to monitor a
workstation (Centos 5 x86_64).
*
I need to obtain
informations about :
*
- cpu utilization
per user, per a period, how many days per user,
*
Any ideas about a
good and simple free tool ?
*
Regards.**__________________________

Ce message (et toutes ses pièces jointes éventuelles) est confidentiel et établi * l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme * sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. L'IFP décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce message.

This message and any attachments (the message) are confidential and intended solely for the addressees. Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. IFP should not be liable for this message.

Visitez notre site Web / Visit our web site : http://www.ifp.fr

Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 AM
fabien faye

Hi,

For that you have a lot of solution :

"top" or "vmstat 1" on the console for a global overview
But if you need load and cpu utilisation per user you have to use ac.

Exemple :

ac -d -p
ffaye 12.86
Jan 6 total 12.86
fwadmin 0.00
ffaye 8.77
Jan 7 total 8.77
ffaye 0.24
Jan 19 total 0.24
ffaye 0.79
Today total 0.79

If you want more information follow this link : http://generationip.com/documentation/system-documentation/113-howto-on-psacct-for-a-complete-monitoring-of-processus-and-users-activities-on-your-system

After that if you need to do that remotely and generate graph, take a look on cacti or nagios.

Best regards

Fabien FAYE
RHCE
www.generationip.com
Free network tools & HOWTO for centos and Redhat

I need to monitor a workstation (Centos 5 x86_64).

I need to obtain informations about :

- cpu utilization per user, per a period, how many days per user,

Any ideas about a good and simple free tool ?

Regards. __________________________

Ce message (et toutes ses pices jointes ventuelles) est confidentiel et tabli l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. L'IFP dcline toute responsabilit au titre de ce message.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Max Hetrick

MOKRANI Rachid wrote:

> Any ideas about a good and simple free tool ?

Have a look at Munin.

http://munin.projects.linpro.no/

You can install it from the RPMForge repo.

# yum install munin

Regards,
Max

Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/1 MOKRANI Rachid <Rachid.MOKRANI@ifp.fr>:
> Hi,
>
> I need to monitor a workstation (Centos 5 x86_64).
>
> I need to obtain informations about :
>
> - cpu utilization per user, per a period, how many days per user,
>
> Any ideas about a good and simple free tool ?

Install smpd on workstation and then use any snmp supported tool like nagios ...

--
Eero

Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Brian Mathis

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:08 AM, MOKRANI Rachid <Rachid.MOKRANI@ifp.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to monitor a workstation (Centos 5 x86_64).
>
> I need to obtain informations about :
>
> - cpu utilization per user, per a period, how many days per user,
>
> Any ideas about a good and simple free tool ?
>
> Regards.

In addition to the other suggestions (although those are typically
used for system-level monitoring), you should look into the "psacct"
package. There is an introduction to it here:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-log-user-activity-using-process-accounting.html

Old 02-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Christoph Maser

Am Montag, den 01.02.2010, 14:14 +0100 schrieb Eero Volotinen:
> 2010/2/1 MOKRANI Rachid <Rachid.MOKRANI@ifp.fr>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to monitor a workstation (Centos 5 x86_64).
> >
> > I need to obtain informations about :
> >
> > - cpu utilization per user, per a period, how many days per user,
> >
> > Any ideas about a good and simple free tool ?
> >

> Install smpd on workstation and then use any snmp supported tool like nagios ...

Nagios does not do snmp at all (some plugins do), also metrics (aka
performance data) is just the weakest spot in nagios. To get cpu
utilization per user you propably need psacct.

Chris

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach

Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM, MOKRANI Rachid <Rachid.MOKRANI@ifp.fr> wrote:
> I need to monitor a workstation (Centos 5 x86_64).
>
> I need to obtain informations about :
>
> - cpu utilization per user, per a period, how many days per user,
>
> Any ideas about a good and simple free tool ?

Perhaps an overkill, but the mention of NAGios prompted me to suggest
this: Zabbix

But a fairly integrated piece of work and can scale

CentOS 5
http://andrewfarley.com/sysadmin/zabbix-rpms-updated-to-1-8-1-in-my-repository

Some users were wondering if that could be hosted in RPM forge or similar

HTH

Regards

Rajagopal

Old 02-03-2010, 09:43 AM
John Doe

From: Christoph Maser <cmr@financial.com>
> Nagios does not do snmp at all (some plugins do), also metrics (aka
> performance data) is just the weakest spot in nagios. To get cpu
> utilization per user you propably need psacct.

At the same time, it is "easy" to create a plugin with any data you want (by using psacct by example).
Only thing is that the data length is limited...
By example, the plugin just has to return on stdout something like:
description|var1=value1;warn_value;critical_value; base_value;max_value var2=value2;...
Example for a memory plugin, just output:
MEMORY OK - RAM Used: 23% (728MB/3041MB), SWAP Used: 0% (0MB/2932MB)|RAM=728MB;2736;2888;0;3041 SWAP=0MB;2902;2932;0;2932
But again, the part after the '|' is limited in length (I think it used to be 229 chars max from old tests)...
So if you have a lot of users data, you won't be able to put them all in this line.
Unless you create like 1 plugin per user or some trick like that...
And to graph, you can use the PnP nagios plugin.

But all this is only worth it if you need to monitor many servers...

JD

Old 02-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Athmane Madjoudj

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:08 AM, MOKRANI Rachid <Rachid.MOKRANI@ifp.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to monitor a workstation (Centos 5 x86_64).
>
> I need to obtain informations about :
>
> - cpu utilization per user, per a period, how many days per user,
>
> Any ideas about a good and simple free tool ?
>
> Regards.
>
> __________________________
>
> Ce message (et toutes ses pices jointes ventuelles) est confidentiel et
> tabli l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation de ce
> message non conforme sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication,
> totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. L'IFP
> dcline toute responsabilit au titre de ce message.
>
> This message and any attachments (the message) are confidential and intended
> solely for the addressees. Any unauthorised use or dissemination is
> prohibited. IFP should not be liable for this message.
>
> Visitez notre site Web / Visit our web site : http://www.ifp.fr

Maybe you should try:

Cacti: http://www.cacti.net/
Munin: http://munin.projects.linpro.no/