Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 AM

Default Not able to redirect console msgs to serial port

Hi,

Iam using cento-5.3 on x86 machine and
iam working to get the console messages redirected to serial port.

I have made the necessary changes
in the /etc/inittab file.

- - - - -

id:3:initdefault

.

.

so:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0
9600 vt100

- - - -- -

and also in /etc/grub.conf file

- - - -

serial --speed=9600 --unit=0 --word=8
--parity=no --stop=1 terminal --timeout=10 serial

.

.

kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.6.18-128.el5
ro root=LABEL=/1 console=ttyS0,9600

*- - -

Still Iam not able to see any console
messages redirection *on serial port.I have connected the serial port
of the Machine_1 which has centos running to Machine_2 where i have opened
an hyperterminal.I see no console

messages displayed here. Iam , I missing
any configuration or is there an rpm i should install ?

Thanks and Regards,

Premraj* M

Sr.Software Engineer

Tel: +91-080-67274900

Cell: +91-9741231739

Email: premrajm@digilink.in

**********

Smartlink
Network Systems Ltd.

Digilink India Ltd, Plot No. 10-A,Next to Hi-Cal Magnetics, Electronic
City Phase II, Konappana Agrahara, Bangalore - 560100

Disclaimer : This message is proprietary to Smartlink Network Systems Limited and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Smartlink Network Systems Ltd. accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

This email has been
scrubbed for your protection by SecureMX. For more information visit
securemx.in

Old 02-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

messages redirection *on serial port.I have connected the serial port
of the Machine_1 which has centos running to Machine_2 where i have opened
an hyperterminal.I
silly question: Have you checked the cable and hyperterm with another device say a managable switch/router?

Is it a cross cable and not 1:1 cable. I have seen people struggle with that sometimes....

HTH

Regards,

Rajagopal