Old 01-30-2010, 05:14 AM
Zvi Vered

Default Recover /usr/lib/libc.a

Hello,

I'm using Centos:

/proc/version = Linux version 2.6.18-128.el5
(mockbuild@builder16.centos.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat
4.1.2-44)) #1 SMP Wed Jan 21 10:44:23 EST 2009

I did a mistake and erased libc.a from /usr/lib

How can I recover it without reinstalling Centos ?

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 08:14 +0200, Zvi Vered wrote:
> I did a mistake and erased libc.a from /usr/lib
>
> How can I recover it without reinstalling Centos ?

/usr/lib/libc.a is provided as part of the glibc-devel rpm.

If you merely erased the file with a rm command or something like that,
you can probably just download the glibc-devel rpm from your friendly
neighbourhood Centos mirror site, extract libc.a from it and copy it
back into /usr/lib.

Or you could download the glibc-devel rpm and use the rpm command with
the "--replacepkgs" directive to reinstall the whole rpm.

Either method should work.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 AM
"Lucian @ lastdot.org"

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 08:14 +0200, Zvi Vered wrote:
>> I did a mistake and erased libc.a from /usr/lib
>>
>> How can I recover it without reinstalling Centos ?
>
> /usr/lib/libc.a is provided as part of the glibc-devel rpm.
>
> If you merely erased the file with a rm command or something like that,
> you can probably just download the glibc-devel rpm from your friendly
> neighbourhood Centos mirror site, extract libc.a from it and copy it
> back into /usr/lib.
>
> Or you could download the glibc-devel rpm and use the rpm command with
> the "--replacepkgs" directive to reinstall the whole rpm.
>
> Either method should work.

Or just:
yum reinstall glibc-devel