Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 PM

Default APC Smart-ups "status codes" (slightly OT)

We got replacement battery "kits" for some of our APC UPS' (Smart-UPS,
rackmount). I put them into one tray (it's for an RBC 43, which takes 8,
and weighs a ton), and put it in, and let it charge. Idiot "change
battery" led stays on. So I hit the test button, it discharges very
rapidly (a good number of servers on this), and the led stays on.

For some reason, apcupsd's USB test fails, with an HIDDEV i/o error. So I
got rid of the weird APC usb cable, and put in one of their serial cables,
and run the "smart" test (the USB does more), and get results showing
everything's fine.

But the idiot light's still on.

So, looking at all the values that the "apcsmart" choice can give me, the
first thing is UPS status. I've been googling for a while, and can't find
a single reference to it. Anyone have a link to somewhere that will give
me the status codes (and their meaning)?

Thanks in advance.

mark

Old 01-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Warren Young

> Idiot "change battery" led stays on.

By chance, I just did an RBC 23 change the other day.

The docs I got with it said to let it charge for 8 hours, then do the
self-test. On my UPS, that means holding the On button for a few
seconds. (A single regular press does nothing but make it beep, if it's
already on.)

You might also want to write the battery change date to the UPS. I
don't know if it will affect the light, but it'll help you figure
battery life when it comes time to change them again years from now:

# upsrw -uadmin -s battery.date=01/29/10 apcrm@localhost

Adjust names as appropriate.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Ron Loftin

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 16:53 -0500, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> We got replacement battery "kits" for some of our APC UPS' (Smart-UPS,
> rackmount). I put them into one tray (it's for an RBC 43, which takes 8,
> and weighs a ton), and put it in, and let it charge. Idiot "change
> battery" led stays on. So I hit the test button, it discharges very
> rapidly (a good number of servers on this), and the led stays on.
>
> For some reason, apcupsd's USB test fails, with an HIDDEV i/o error. So I
> got rid of the weird APC usb cable, and put in one of their serial cables,
> and run the "smart" test (the USB does more), and get results showing
> everything's fine.
>
> But the idiot light's still on.
>
> So, looking at all the values that the "apcsmart" choice can give me, the
> first thing is UPS status. I've been googling for a while, and can't find
> a single reference to it. Anyone have a link to somewhere that will give
> me the status codes (and their meaning)?

The only thing that comes to mind is to check out NUT ( Network UPS
Tools ) at http://www.networkupstools.org and see if their source code
can answer your questions.

I've been using NUT for some time with APC units and had no issues when
changing batteries, but I have a vague memory of some models being fussy
about noticing the new battery. Google should be able to find those
discussions for you.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> mark

Ron Loftin reloftin@twcny.rr.com

"God, root, what is difference ?" Piter from UserFriendly

Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Eric Sisler

<m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

We got replacement battery "kits" for some of our APC UPS' (Smart-UPS,
> rackmount). I put them into one tray (it's for an RBC 43, which takes 8,
> and weighs a ton), and put it in, and let it charge. Idiot "change
> battery" led stays on. So I hit the test button, it discharges very
> rapidly (a good number of servers on this), and the led stays on.
>
> For some reason, apcupsd's USB test fails, with an HIDDEV i/o error. So I
> got rid of the weird APC usb cable, and put in one of their serial cables,
> and run the "smart" test (the USB does more), and get results showing
> everything's fine.
>
> But the idiot light's still on.

According to some old notes I have on an Smart-UPS 1500, the batteries must
be at least 75% charged and a self-test must be run to clear the change
battery light.

-Eric

Old 01-29-2010, 09:27 PM

> On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 16:53 -0500, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
<battery change tale o' woe snipped>
>> But the idiot light's still on.
>>
>> So, looking at all the values that the "apcsmart" choice can give me,
>> the first thing is UPS status. I've been googling for a while, and can't
>> find a single reference to it. Anyone have a link to somewhere that will
>> give me the status codes (and their meaning)?
>>
> The only thing that comes to mind is to check out NUT ( Network UPS
> Tools ) at http://www.networkupstools.org and see if their source code
> can answer your questions.

THANK YOU! That was it!

> I've been using NUT for some time with APC units and had no issues when
> changing batteries, but I have a vague memory of some models being fussy
> about noticing the new battery. Google should be able to find those
> discussions for you.

Hmmm... that could be the problem. I'll look Monday.

Thanks, very much.

mark

Old 02-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Todd Denniston

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote, On 01/29/2010 04:53 PM:
> We got replacement battery "kits" for some of our APC UPS' (Smart-UPS,
> rackmount). I put them into one tray (it's for an RBC 43, which takes 8,
> and weighs a ton), and put it in, and let it charge. Idiot "change
> battery" led stays on. So I hit the test button, it discharges very
> rapidly (a good number of servers on this), and the led stays on.
>
> For some reason, apcupsd's USB test fails, with an HIDDEV i/o error. So I
> got rid of the weird APC usb cable, and put in one of their serial cables,
> and run the "smart" test (the USB does more), and get results showing
> everything's fine.
>
> But the idiot light's still on.
>
> So, looking at all the values that the "apcsmart" choice can give me, the
> first thing is UPS status. I've been googling for a while, and can't find
> a single reference to it. Anyone have a link to somewhere that will give
> me the status codes (and their meaning)?

no idea on the status codes... but I interpret from the above and what the apcupsd folks have posted
to seem to indicate that you may be down to either soft or manual runtime calibration:

http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html#battery-replacement
http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html#battery-installation
http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html#soft-runtime-calibration
http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html#manual-runtime-calibration