Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 PM
"nate"

Default Lockup using stock r8169 on 4.8 in gigabit mode during heavy transfer on lan

Jason Pyeron wrote:

> Ideas?

realtek sucks(massive evidence on the net over the past 10+ years),
get a real NIC(no pun intended).

nate

Old 01-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Tim Nelson

----- "Jason Pyeron" <jpyeron@pdinc.us> wrote:
> I have no output in the logs, but /etc/init.d/network restart fixes
> the issue.
> I am rsync/scp (10GB) data from one 100MB Full duplex host to an ASUS
> M3A78-EM
> (RTL8111B/C). It locks up around the 1.5GB Tx mark.
> If I ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 100 duplex full it does not
> happen again.
>
> Ideas?

Part of the problem is that you mention r8169 kernel module in your subject but your hardware is RTL8111B. Realtek drivers are notorious for loading on improper hardware and appearing to work properly. You need to get the proper driver for your NIC. I've run into this countless times with the r8169 driver and non-r8169 Realtek NICs.

And, on a side note, Realtek may possibly be the worst NIC out there, especially for server use. It may link at gigabit speed, but I bet a trusty old 3Com or Intel Pro 100 will get better throughput. Install a different NIC as fast as you can and never look back.

--Tim