Old 01-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Ryan Pugatch

Default Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.3 - slightly OT

MHR wrote:
> I've noticed recently that the latest version of Adobe's Acrobat
> Reader (9.3) has a really annoying tendency to stop for 30-60 seconds
> shortly after it starts up to read/display a PDF file. I don't see
> this on my Windows copies, just on CentOS.
>
> Anyone know what's up with that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> mhr

I use evince for reading PDFs.. just a suggestion.

Ryan

Old 01-30-2010, 04:42 PM
MHR

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Ryan Pugatch <rpug@linux.com> wrote:

> I use evince for reading PDFs.. just a suggestion.

Doesn't really answer the question or address the issue, but thanks -
it is an option.

Funny thing, though - I don't see the Document Viewer on my menus,
even though I know it's around. Guess that's a separate topic, and a
GNOME one at that....

mhr

Old 01-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 09:42 -0800, MHR wrote:
> I don't see the Document Viewer on my menus,
> even though I know it's around. Guess that's a separate topic, and a
> GNOME one at that....

"Document Viewer" is Evince. Right-click on a pdf file, select "Open
with Document Viewer". Click on Help - About. See the About box
describing Evince.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:05 PM
MHR

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 09:42 -0800, MHR wrote:
>> I don't see the Document Viewer on my menus,
>> even though I know it's around. *Guess that's a separate topic, and a
>> GNOME one at that....
>
> "Document Viewer" is Evince. *Right-click on a pdf file, select "Open
> with Document Viewer". *Click on Help - About. *See the About box
> describing Evince.

Thanks - I knew that. I was just noticing that it's not on my menus,
that's all.

mhr

Old 01-30-2010, 05:11 PM
MHR

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 9:42 AM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Ryan Pugatch <rpug@linux.com> wrote:
>>
>> I use evince for reading PDFs.. just a suggestion.

Let me elaborate a little.

Evince does not have a whole lot of features, which is fine until I
need to do things like size the paper, print 2-up, etc.

True, it's a lot faster than AR, but it also doesn't do a lot of
things that AR does.

So, does anyone know why AR takes forever to get going?

mhr

Old 01-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Athmane Madjoudj

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 9:42 AM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Ryan Pugatch <rpug@linux.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I use evince for reading PDFs.. just a suggestion.
>>>

> Let me elaborate a little.
>
> Evince does not have a whole lot of features, which is fine until I
> need to do things like size the paper, print 2-up, etc.
>
> True, it's a lot faster than AR, but it also doesn't do a lot of
> things that AR does.
>
> So, does anyone know why AR takes forever to get going?
>
> mhr

Try to run AR in a terminal and see error output

--
Athmane Madjoudj

Old 01-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Rob Kampen

MHR wrote:

I use evince for reading PDFs.. just a suggestion.

Let me elaborate a little.

Evince does not have a whole lot of features, which is fine until I
need to do things like size the paper, print 2-up, etc.

True, it's a lot faster than AR, but it also doesn't do a lot of
things that AR does.

So, does anyone know why AR takes forever to get going?

mhr

I believe that AR is a huge bit of software (see size of download)
because Adobe bundle all the required libraries with it - thus no
dependancies, thus when it starts it needs to reference all its own
libraries and load them - no sharing or prelinking. I've probably not
conveyed this in technically correct terms but hopefully you get idea.

thus it will always be slow to start
HTH

Old 01-30-2010, 10:20 PM
JohnS

On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 10:11 -0800, MHR wrote:

> So, does anyone know why AR takes forever to get going?

---
No, but it takes about 5 secs to start up on a P4-1.7. That machine is
10 years old almost. How long are you talking about?

John

Old 01-30-2010, 10:54 PM
MHR

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 3:20 PM, JohnS <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 10:11 -0800, MHR wrote:
>

>> So, does anyone know why AR takes forever to get going?
>>
> ---
> No, but it takes about 5 secs to start up on a P4-1.7. That machine is
> 10 years old almost. * How long are you talking about?

I just tried it on my 2.6GHz Athlon II X4 (new CPU I could not resist)
and got this: ~4 seconds to display, then another 22 before it would
do anything else (specifically, advance one page). During the wait,
it just sits there and acts dead, kind of like SeaMonkey does when it
decides to be cranky.

This only happens during the first load in a while - probably until
the cache for its pages clear, or it may be going out on the web to
check for updates, though this seems to take a long time.

If I run acroread in a terminal, all I get is this silly error, which
is meaningless for all practical purposes IIRC:

/usr/share/themes/Bluecurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:69: error: invalid string
constant "bluecurve-default", expected valid string constant
/usr/share/themes/Bluecurve-Grape/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:69: error: invalid
string constant "bluecurve-default", expected valid string constant

(This happens on most X-apps that are started in a terminal. I
usually use an alias to start them that redirects the stderr output to
/dev/null on those occasions where I want to use a command line
startup.)

mhr

Old 01-30-2010, 11:56 PM
JohnS

On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 15:54 -0800, MHR wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 3:20 PM, JohnS <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 10:11 -0800, MHR wrote:
> >

> >> So, does anyone know why AR takes forever to get going?
> >>
> > ---
> > No, but it takes about 5 secs to start up on a P4-1.7. That machine is
> > 10 years old almost. How long are you talking about?
> >

> I just tried it on my 2.6GHz Athlon II X4 (new CPU I could not resist)
> and got this: ~4 seconds to display, then another 22 before it would
> do anything else (specifically, advance one page). During the wait,
> it just sits there and acts dead, kind of like SeaMonkey does when it
> decides to be cranky.

This will make you cringe, it is a P4B533 Asus Board. Do not be so sad
though, my friend has a HP 64 Bit Athlon/VT ext., and this desktop will
burn circles around his. They don't make them like they used to. I
have a Athlon 64Bit 4000+ desktop also but somehow I just cant seem to
leave this old one.
Kernel = Linux ethies 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 #1 SMP on CentOS Bits i686

> This only happens during the first load in a while - probably until
> the cache for its pages clear, or it may be going out on the web to
> check for updates, though this seems to take a long time.

Check the settings for adobe because honestly I had to change mine!
the cache settings i think for adobe reading pages ahead into memory.

John